new animal planet show = tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the guys are funny ya it's scripted but it beats watching jersey shore. And again the tanks and fish are awesome I can't wait for the next season ;)

And another thing I'm taking care of 5 tanks including a 125g discus tank I really don't wanna here about all their perimeters lol

I actually work on the show and right now we're casting and it'll start back up in Spring 2012.

The show is still casting for season 2 if anyone has a crazy tank idea and wants to be on the show. And then you could see for yourself what goes on behind the scenes!

I know it airs internationally, but we only do casting within the US because of the issues with tank transportation.

iheartpuffers said:
The show is still casting for season 2 if anyone has a crazy tank idea and wants to be on the show. And then you could see for yourself what goes on behind the scenes!

How did you figure this out?

iheartpuffers said:

I've noticed from several forums including here the show gets crucified and people tend to think the show just throws fish in a tank of water and hope for the best. I always believed it was obvious that that wasn't the case. So from you background experience with the show would you be able to put the speculations to rest about the treatment of these tanks when it comes to cycling, maintenance, temperature, fish pairing and whatever people may have crucified the show for not showing.

@Ryan-Peddle I work on the production of the show

@Desastre the do cycle and get the temperature just right before putting it into the tank. On the show it looks like they're just putting tap water in but in reality it is pre-cycled water coming from another container. Because so much goes into the making of a tank and installation, a lot gets left on the cutting room floor because 1) there's not enough time to show it all and 2) it can get really technical, which is (sadly) lost on a lot of people.
In terms of maintenance, ATM offers their services once they've installed the tanks since most people aren't equipped to maintain such large scale or intricate tanks. We do extensive interviews beforehand to make sure that people are committed to maintaining the tanks and have the right motivation for getting a tank.

IDK about you guy's but watching and waiting for my own tanks to cycle was excruciating. The idea of watching an entertainment show of someone else's tank cycling sounds masochistic to me.

It's the glitz that get's new people interested in fish, not the hard work. Friends that have started keeping fish after seeing my tanks are surprised at the amount of work it takes in the beginning. Even though I tell them about it before they ever buy anything. If "Tanked" showed all the early drudgery of start up, no one would even try to keep fish and a show about the hard work would never have made it on the air.

Has anyone here visited the "Tanked" website? It's suppose to have a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that gets list on the show. I haven't had the time,so I was just wondering if anyone else had.

I only have FW tanks, mainly due to cost, but also from fear of what is needed in the start and upkeep of a SW tank. But I really enjoy seeing all the different types of SW fish. Most of which are way to large to keep in the average home aquarium.

We just need to remember that when it comes to "Hollywood" and "Television" nothing is as it seems. Even on the channels like AP

iheartpuffers said:
@Ryan-Peddle I work on the production of the show

@Desastre the do cycle and get the temperature just right before putting it into the tank. On the show it looks like they're just putting tap water in but in reality it is pre-cycled water coming from another container. Because so much goes into the making of a tank and installation, a lot gets left on the cutting room floor because 1) there's not enough time to show it all and 2) it can get really technical, which is (sadly) lost on a lot of people.
In terms of maintenance, ATM offers their services once they've installed the tanks since most people aren't equipped to maintain such large scale or intricate tanks. We do extensive interviews beforehand to make sure that people are committed to maintaining the tanks and have the right motivation for getting a tank.

Awesome well I love the show and the cast and there are a few of us in this thread that understand editing and knew from the beginning that's why the more boring stuff got left out but I am looking forward to the next season it's an excellent show

+1 to the post above, I think a lot of posters don't realise that there's a lot behind the scenes, and the guys are professionals dealing with tanks worth tens of thousands so would do all the necessary to make sure the tank will work well for the fish and the client respectively.

The last thing these guys want is tanks of dead/dying fish. They have got to where they are through expertise.

I love all the tanks made on the show as they never fail to impress and encourage all of us fish owners to dream big. The show is great and in glad it has another season.

I have always wanted to have a fish tank that spans into different rooms but the catch is somehow in the floor.
Therefore when you look down, you can see the fish just swimming underneath ya and you have the sensation of walking on water. Dreamt about this as a little kid and have always thought about making it happen, if I was super duper rich. Lol. I would employ ATM to make the whole basement a fish tank and acrylic or something for flooring for first floor. Don't know how it would work but I'm sure if there is a will and lots of money there is a way. Im sure it has already been accomplished in some capacity.

Tv is mostly entertainment. IMO people use the web, books, and other people's opinions for research, work, and the like and want to watch tv for entertainment. Not something that is gonna bore them and make them think to hard. Idk I don't watch much of it because it doesn't really teach me much and I have no time. Would rather go online and read and learn something new. I watch this because it is a hobby of mine and it is neat to see tanks and fish specimens that you would not normally see. Plus I might pick up a tip here or there but I'm watching it for entertainment not really trying to learn anything from it just enjoyment and for the love of the hobby.

Also hello and nice to have someone that is involved with the show. I like it a lot and think you all do amazing work. Hopefully Puffers you can give us some inside info on the show when you have some lol I know you can't I'm kidding.

i love tanked :) it makes me sooo happy to see custom tanks even tho i don't own any...i've missed quite a lot of eps from tanked, does anyone know a site where i can see all of em?

Back
Top Bottom