new animal planet show = tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mfdrookie516 said:
What are you basing this on? Are you saying that people with a lot of money don't care for fish like those that don't? I'd be willing to be they care a lot more about them than you say. That comment is just ridiculous

I would have to agree you don't drop that much coin on something you don't love even if you are rich IMO

I based my comment on my observations of the people on the show. Something I went to collage for and did for a living, preinjury.
Not one of them picked out their own fish or even suggested that they may like any particular kind of fish. All they cared about was the aesthetics of the tank .
Even after their tank was finished, they each oohed and aah-ed about the decor and how it all looked. Not one client said "OMG, that fish is amazing (the tank builders did), what kind is it"? No visible curiosity about these new living creatures in their home/business.
The people with the "New York'' tank, never asked if all those fish in a tall skinny tank would be alright. I'd want to know everything, just to be sure that the fish could thrive in such an odd shape.
Where were the clients questions about the fish?:nono:
Bash me if you want to, but I was referring to the people on the show, since that is what the thread is about. I was not speaking about every person in the world that's ever been wealthy enough to purchased a custom tank. That would be ridiculous.

I based my comment on my observations of the people on the show. Something I went to collage for and did for a living, preinjury.
Not one of them picked out their own fish or even suggested that they may like any particular kind of fish. All they cared about was the aesthetics of the tank .
Even after their tank was finished, they each oohed and aah-ed about the decor and how it all looked. Not one client said "OMG, that fish is amazing (the tank builders did), what kind is it"? No visible curiosity about these new living creatures in their home/business.
The people with the "New York'' tank, never asked if all those fish in a tall skinny tank would be alright. I'd want to know everything, just to be sure that the fish could thrive in such an odd shape.
Bash me if you want to, but I was referring to the people on the show, since that is what the thread is about. I was not speaking about every person in the world that's ever been wealthy enough to purchased a custom tank. That would be ridiculous.

I agree with you 100%

either way. at the end of the day you are allowed to say what you feel regardless if someone disagrees. The problem is that people are unable to disagree in a mature, respectable matter. One of the many reasons I find it hard to come back to forums. So much drama and needless arguing.

Is it that hurtful to ones ego to be wrong once in a while or just let something go without posting a worthless comment? That is a rhetorical question. It's not directed at you WendiDell.

*I don't know about everyone else here, but I joined to share and gain ideas/knowledge. Not debate over petty things and berate people every time they post something I don't like or agree with. I swear some people here get off on telling you that you are wrong.

I just seen one of the episodes last friday, the 12th. on Animal Planet HD. For reference I have Comcast Cable.

Honestly. I wasn't that impressed. It seems like Orange County Choppers with aquariums. :( Seemed to focus more on the "oooh" aspect of aquariums and the drama between the employees at the company. Just another reality show, with a different twist. I hope it gets better. Also, they really only focused on SW tanks. The tanks that usually grab peoples attention.

The tanks they did show were purchased by people with tons of money who only wanted a show piece. Heck, the one couple spent over $30,000 for a dumb quarantine setup. The kicker is...they didn't even pick out their fish. They had the hosts of the show go get them.

What person who spends that much, and loves their fish that much doesn't pick out the fish? Ahhh. :rolleyes:

The other customers were the couple who own 720 motorsports. They got a tank put inside of a car. Cool but pointless. Even then, they put the fish right in. No cycling, nothing. I'm not a SW guy but don't you need to add something to cycle it? They filled it with a hose, then plopped them in. Maybe they cut some stuff out for time, but that doesn't reflect well on them by not showing the proper procedure.

NOTE: The show focuses on ATM (Acrylic Tank Manufacturing) out of Las Vegas, NV. That should give you an idea of where the show is headed. :banghead: Basically outrageous tanks for people with outrageous amounts of money and zero interest in fish.

Here's the website.
~~~~ Acrylic Tank Manufacturing - Las Vegas ~~~~

But for a lot of people, the build process is far more entertaining than the science behind it. It's a reality show about building crazy tanks, and they're attempting to appeal to a much greater number of people than just fish geeks like us. :D

I wouldn't hold your breath for a FW tank on "Tanked". The FW fish aren't exotic enough for their extremely wealthy clients. The people that can afford those huge custome tanks, can also afford for someone else to care for their fish. So they don't really care if one fish costs $500.00 or more, if it dies eh, buy a new one.

The processes to build and set up these tanks are edited down to 40-ish minute episodes. How do any of us know that the customers do or don't care about the fish? Maybe they'll take the time to learn about the fish, but that wouldn't make for very entertaining programming. ;)

Most shows are ultimatley about entertainment, and so is this one. Despite that, I still like it. I can understand if somebody does not like the characters, but I personally do.
Just for the record, it is not entirely fair to judge all their clients and say they don't care about the fish. The show takes places over days to weeks and is edited into about 40 minutes. Just because somebody does things differently than most of us do does mean that they don't care.
The company specializes in sw. I doubt they will do fw because it is NOT their speciality. Also, it is based on the crazy things that people ASKED them to do. People seem to know them a sw tank company, so people will ask them for sw tanks. Would I love to see a fw set-up? YES. But, if I had money for a huge one, I would ask a company who specializes in FW to build it for me.
And hey, I understand what everybody is saying, and you make perfectly valid points. I am just saying that we shouldn't jump to judgement on the clients. I am guessing somebody will rant at me for saying this, but I felt it needed to be said.

I completely agree.

That's all we see. None of us can say for sure whether the clients are interested in the fish or not, or whether they asked questions about them. The actual statement you used was "The people that can afford those huge custome tanks, can also afford for someone else to care for their fish. So they don't really care if one fish costs $500.00 or more, if it dies eh, buy a new one." So how could anyone infer from that statement that you were not talking about all wealthy people?

I agree with you 100%

either way. at the end of the day you are allowed to say what you feel regardless if someone disagrees. The problem is that people are unable to disagree in a mature, respectable matter. One of the many reasons I find it hard to come back to forums. So much drama and needless arguing.

Is it that hurtful to ones ego to be wrong once in a while or just let something go without posting a worthless comment? That is a rhetorical question. It's not directed at you WendiDell.

*I don't know about everyone else here, but I joined to share and gain ideas/knowledge. Not debate over petty things and berate people every time they post something I don't like or agree with. I swear some people here get off on telling you that you are wrong.

Discussion and debate, even disagreement, is fine. But we have to keep it respectful.

Hmm - no bashing allowed here at AA...:nono:

I agree with you 100%

Thanks for bringing this up.

You are allowed to have a differing or unique opinion, but you are expected to voice it respectfully. That means you should avoid statements like "you are wrong" "that's just stupid" "what a dope" and other statements that are personal in nature and directed at another member.

You may disagree, but do it in a collegial fashion. State your view point without opinion about anothers view point and then move on.

Please help keep AA a friendly and welcoming site for all participants :flowers:

All in all, I still think the issue lies with the production. Heck someone needs to produce a technical fish show. Ive learned thats its just for entertainment. nothing more

huma-huma said:
All in all, I still think the issue lies with the production. Heck someone needs to produce a technical fish show. Ive learned thats its just for entertainment. nothing more

But that would be a totally different show this is tanked and it's about extreme builds more so then the fish and proper handling ect.

I am just happy to see fish on tv :)

Yeah...I have accepted that "Tanked" is merely for entertainment purposes and not to inform people about proper fish care. Honestly, that would be kind of boring. If you keep this in mind, the show becomes instantly more enjoyable. If anything, maybe are hobby will get the benefits that main-stream success brings.

You have to realize though, that everyone here is passionate about fish, therefore we see all of the mistakes and problems that a non-fish keeper wouldn't notice. Just turn your brain off next time you watch. Haha :angel:

I have a question is a fish tank with no live rock and just decpr like these tanks, can they use regular tap wayer like they did...or did i miss the giant RO/DI tank?

BfishLpond78 said:
I have a question is a fish tank with no live rock and just decpr like these tanks, can they use regular tap wayer like they did...or did i miss the giant RO/DI tank?

They should still use RODI water due to the toxins in the water

Just happened to be surfing the channels and since I have an interest in fish, I checked it out. And I loved it. I'll be watching it...neat looking tanks and fishes. I'm not a SW guy but I do find the fishes quite pretty and awesome looking.

I like the show but I like to see the fish they add in and the crazy aquariums but irony like they don't really teach anything to anyone. Or how they add fish so soon and don't cycle and how they used water from a water hose and I don't like how they only use fake coral and stuff IMO it's all ugly the only good part is the fish. And I really think it takes all the excitement out of fish keeping when these people pay them todo everything they don't even pick out their own fish. But overall I like seeing the tanks and fish.

As a freshwater fishkeeper, I think it's messed up that they don't do any freshwater tanks. Even when they used freshwater cichlids, they used fake coral. I'd like to see them try a freshwater tank!;-)

KeeperOfFish said:
I like the show but I like to see the fish they add in and the crazy aquariums but irony like they don't really teach anything to anyone. Or how they add fish so soon and don't cycle and how they used water from a water hose and I don't like how they only use fake coral and stuff IMO it's all ugly the only good part is the fish. And I really think it takes all the excitement out of fish keeping when these people pay them todo everything they don't even pick out their own fish. But overall I like seeing the tanks and fish.

I am positive they cycle they run there media on their established tanks then use it or the fish would be dead And they acclimate them every time but you have to remember a lot of old school guys don't fishless cycle they do a fish in cycle

I do agree with the fake coral kinda tacky

And the educational part is for people like us they are trying to appeal to everyone it is up to the individual to do the research but I agree they should mention the words cycle and research

they did a Freshwater tank last night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woo hoo!
it was a "Beer Keg / wine barrel" aquarium with peacock cichlids.

the only problem was the decor/ornaments.
It looked so tacky with the coral decorations in a freshwater aquarium.
If they used driftwood or rocks e.g. limestone rocks, that would have been much better

Back
Top Bottom