New Baby Betta - what kind is he/she?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a new baby betta for my 5 gal yesterday. All it said on the bowl was Baby Betta. It looks like he's going to be red but I can't tell if he's a boy or girl or what type he'll grow up to be. right now he's about an inch long. Any clues?

Attachments

• 2013-02-06 19.40.13.jpg
    2013-02-06 19.40.13.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 2013-02-06 19.42.53.jpg
    2013-02-06 19.42.53.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 156
Usually the baby bettas are females, because they can sell the males for so much more. Could be a plakat hybrid maybe, but we will have to see!

I'll be excited to see what "she" turns out to be. You're probably right. She'll probably be a plakat, but that's OK, she'll still be beautiful!
:flowers:

The few babies I have gotten have all been plakat females. One had longers fins tho, so I'm thinking a veiltail maybe.
Where did you get yours? Petco?

Yep, she was a Petco special $1.99. I wasn't even looking for a betta, just plants for my 55 gal. But, I can't resist baby anything!

OK, I put my baby in my 5 gal (alone) and she hasn't left the bottom of the tank all evening. Do you think she's OK? I tested the tank levels last night and PH +7.8, Ammonia = .25, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 20. I did a 50% water change after that and added Prime. Filter-wise I'm running just an Aqua Tech rated for 5-15 gal.

I'm worried about her. I wonder if moving from her little cup I bought her in to a 5 gal was too much. Or maybe the filter is putting out too much water flow?

Try turning the filter down. I water change was a great idea.

She's probably really stressed, and she needs to get used to her new home.

I don't think there's a way to turn down the filter. If there is, I don't know it. I did another 20% water change just a little while ago. I guess she is stressed. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to put her in the 55 gal with my zebra danios would it? I have 2 regular zebras, 6 glofish, and one baby rafael catfish in there and plants and that's all.

I'd let her chill in the 5g for a while. I remember seeing the baby bettas at petco and recall them being pretty tiny. A tiny fish surrounded by some energetic danios might stress her. Give her some time. My fish always take a day or two to get comfortable in a new tank.

i used a piece of cloth around my intake to slow down my filter. on another tank I put a clear piece of plastic under the outflow across to the other edge of the tank so the "waterfall" was spread horizontally over the remaining surface and didn't create a downward "draft"

my betta was always stressed with filters in tanks 10 gallons and under, i did half day shifts so he had sleeping time with no current. With a 5.5 you may not have that long and you are doing a fish-in cycle, which I did not have to contend with.

The good news is plakats have less finnage which if I ever get more bettas I will prefer. Many long finned bettas bite their tails in high current, like mine!@

Good luck with the baby! so little! dont over feed her, what are you using, pellets?

my suggestion: soak all the foods in her water and smush up big pieces

do you have a heater? keep it warm-- my man is sensitive to cold also, he was a sickly cup-bound fish and I barely kept him through many trials the first 3 months. Now he is super fat and happy in a big tank with neons and red cherry shrimp and ramshorn snails, and I spoil him

Thanks for all the advise! Owen, I'll take your advise and keep her in the little tank for awhile so the danios don't stress her out. Marsh, I like the cloth around the intake idea. When I get home today I'm going to rig something up. I bet that waterfall is spooking her. It would me if I was her size. I might need to get a bigger heater. Her water temp is around 72 degrees right now. And yes, I'm feeding her pellets. I might have to smush them up for her. I noticed when I brought her home and was feeding her she could barely fit one in her mouth after it swelled up.
I so much appreciate all the advise. It's helping me feel less stressful about putting her in the 5 gal tank. I've been pretty worried about that. You guys are great!!!
:thanks:

Want pics of my two rigged low-flow filters?

My Betta is at 79-80 at all times, some would say on the high side. I have a 29 gallon so the evaporation doesn't matter so so much. The nano tank with our pea puffer(my husbands) is near 78-82 due to a very small tank in a sunny room. His evap is like, 5-10% daily, and the nitrates get sky high in 48 hours as is!

My 29 also has 6 neon tetras, 2 snails and 3 adult/5 baby red cherry shrimp. About 45 plants so heavily planted more or less

Okay lemme get a few. By the way- if you get a heater, never bump the temperature up suddenly, only a few degrees per day is plenty! That's why heaters with thermometers are better than pancake style heaters that simply bumps the ambient temp by 2 degrees

I invested in way too many crap heaters-- which now work great in my QT and for loaners/acclimation or salt mixing. Still, expensive mistakes. Get the simplest adjustable heater that fits your tank, all of my new ones are 100w but longer, look for a 35-50w

Also move the tank to a warmer spot, not by windows or doors or drafts

I do need to look for a better heater. The one I have is a flat rectangle one that doesn't adjust. I think it came with my aquarium kit even. I'll get a better heater. I do have the tank next to an inside wall in the living room. I tried to keep it away from windows. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom