New Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domsmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a new Red Veiltail Betta. First Betta I've owned. Been reading about them a lot this afternoon , but just wanted to see if anyone whose had/has Bettas had any pointers or advice for me!
Thanks! :)

I love bettas and wish I could rescue one too! They all don't get along and be careful you you put him/her with ! My advice :) don't know to much.

They are so pretty and I feel so bad for all of them in lil jars in stores! Wish they weren't so aggressive so I could have more! But I've got him in his own Betta cube! ;)

domsmom said:
They are so pretty and I feel so bad for all of them in lil jars in stores! Wish they weren't so aggressive so I could have more! But I've got him in his own Betta cube! ;)

Nice :) job!! I would get one but I don't have room :(

Ok.
Well, honestly bettas do much better in larger spaces, more like 2.5-5g is a better minimum for them. Also, a filter is pretty important. I am not sure if your cube has a filter, but it makes life easier for the fish and you. It takes a lot of pwc to keep the water clean in a small tank like that. Sorry to say that, but its true. Bettas are much more active'personable in larger tanks. They can live in small spaces, but larger tanks are better IME.

Bettas do best in 5 gallons that are cycled with a filter and a temp of 78-82 degrees fereinhiet. (Sorry for the terrible spelling!)

when i had my dancer in a 1 gal i was doing daily complete water changes without a filter 50% water changes with a filter and also his water needs to be around 75-80 so a heater is recommended... i just moved mine to a 5 gal and hes adjusting... theres alot of input from others on my thread if u wanna take a look... theres also alot of articles on this site as well as www.nippyfish.net u should read about diseases to be aware of... cycling ur tank 1/2 gal i would say would be a temp/starter home for a betta they also like hiding places and making bubble nests good lighting during the day and lights out at night to sleep... they dont like much current in their water from a filter so try to get one that doesnt create much current... they also like live plants to hide in and lay in the leaves just under the surface of the water since they do surface to breathe as well.... im finding that a water test kit is a must to have no matter what type of fish u have and am getting one ASAP myself to check the toxicity of the water... keeping an aquarium is much like a science project as well when it comes to water quality but well worth it to have a companion... hope ive helped some :)

My Walter swims in the 5 gallon tank with only Zebra Snail to keep him company. The temp is set on 80.6 and he's really happy there-- keeps playing hide and seek with his own reflection or just pushes himself through the live plant I have there :) He really is adorable!
It's my first Betta also and from what I've noticed he likes to swim around a lot, so a bigger tank is really a good idea, I think.

Lol, I was trying to figure out what a love plant was! Hehe. Yeah, he will be fine in that tank for a bit, but its a good idea to get him into a bigger one asap. :)
They are so pretty and its really cool to watch be able to swim around in a bigger tank. :)

I wish I could get a pretty blue girl to keep him company! Are they major breeders?? Are the males really aggressive still towards the females? Or mostly just the males? Read it could be both...

Its not typically a good idea to keep a male and female together long term. The females do tend to be just as aggressive as the males. They seem to have a different sort of personality, but they are certainly feisty little fish.
Getting them to breed can actually be a bit difficult. Pattyfurg (a member here) has bred them before and has stories about getting them to breed.

ive heard its good to keep just one betta in a tank then get for example mystery snails or tetras or ghost shrimp depending on how aggressive the individual betta is... i plan on trying mystery snails with mine

dancersmama79 said:
ive heard its good to keep just one betta in a tank then get for example mystery snails or tetras or ghost shrimp depending on how aggressive the individual betta is... i plan on trying mystery snails with mine

I stuck a couple ramshorns in with mine and he attacked. I pulled them out and put them back in my other tank where they came from and they lived, but I could have sworn he picked one right out of it's shell. All I wanted was to isolate two blues so they might breed true... No luck.

ive heard sometimes they pick at them and eat their antennas or constantly bully them my betta has never had anything else in his tank... and i dont know how aggressive he is

Back
Top Bottom