New bulb looking nearly red

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyrmir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been setting up the lighting on my new 29 gallon and I picked up a dual 24" fixtur. When it came time for lights I decided to try out Philips Plant and Aquarium bulb. Figuring I wanted the best light for my plants. I noticed when I got them that they are 2,700K bulbs so I was expecting them to look fairly dim in comparison to normal white bulbs. At least to non plant type eyes.

What's getting me is the light coming into the tank looks nearly red. Has anyone used these bulbs before? Just wanting to make sure these aren't duds or something.

Philips F20T12/Plant 39227-4

They aren't duds. The 2,700K is the "temp" or color.
the lower the number the closer to the red spectrum.
10K is a very bright white. While it won't look good for viewing, your plants should love them

Alot of us mix one plant bulb with one daylight bulb. Then you get the best of both worlds.

gfink said:
Alot of us mix one plant bulb with one daylight bulb. Then you get the best of both worlds.

I thought about doing that if the dimness was to be expected. The other question though, do these bulbs overdrive well? Or would overdriving them up the K and just make them look brighter without giving much benefit?

Skyrmir said:
Or would overdriving them up the K and just make them look brighter without giving much benefit?

Overdriving has no effect on the color / K-rating of the bulbs. They are just brighter.

i reccomend mixing bulbs personnally. as long as they all have a spectrum in the chlorophyll action spectrum then your good. I use a GE P&A, A Sylvania Gro-Lux, and a GE Fresh and Salt. i think my color temps are 3400k, 4100k, and 9325k

it's like purple, orange, blue. lol

i get good plant growth of course i'm sitting at right under 3.5 WPG

Back
Top Bottom