New Centerpiece ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
paytertot said:
Woo hoo! What about tank mates?

I was gonna go with 2 Bolivian rams, a big school of tetras(not sure which ones yet, maybe 2 different schools) possibly a stingray(seen they go great with discus) and that's all I have for now.. I guess it depends on how many Discus I want really

DanS180 said:
I was gonna go with 2 Bolivian rams, a big school of tetras(not sure which ones yet, maybe 2 different schools) possibly a stingray(seen they go great with discus) and that's all I have for now.. I guess it depends on how many Discus I want really

Stingray?? Never heard of that in a tank. As far as tetras go, I just ordered 2 kinds that you might like too: Congo tetras and red phantom tetras

paytertot said:
Stingray?? Never heard of that in a tank. As far as tetras go, I just ordered 2 kinds that you might like too: Congo tetras and red phantom tetras

Oh man stingrays are awesome in a tank, I used to have one but he died :( (RIP) apparently stingrays are part of the Discus family. Never knew that but that's pretty cool, and ill look into the tetras, sound cool tho :)

DanS180 said:
Oh man stingrays are awesome in a tank, I used to have one but he died :( (RIP) apparently stingrays are part of the Discus family. Never knew that but that's pretty cool, and ill look into the tetras, sound cool tho :)

Lol here they are

Attachments

• CongoTetra1.JPG
    CongoTetra1.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 30
  • 510.jpg
    510.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 26
I just Googled them! I like the colors!! Ill take then into consideration... how many schools do u think I could do in a 180? Lol lets say 6 discus, 1 stingray, 2 rams and.....?? Lol

DanS180 said:
I just Googled them! I like the colors!! Ill take then into consideration... how many schools do u think I could do in a 180? Lol lets say 6 discus, 1 stingray, 2 rams and.....?? Lol

Well I don't know the size of the stingray so I don't really know. I have an overstocking problem lol I'm sure I'd end up with 3 or 4 tetra types lol. Hatchet fish are cool but small.

DanS180 said:
Wow they're beautiful! :) ill have to check that out. Yeah it recommends getting the bigger ones for first time Discus keepers, do you have any info on the questions I asked above??

I'm new to discus so I can't offer to much I will say the smaller discus seem to acclimate much easier to different tanks then the larger ones but I HIGHLY recommend checking out hidden reef and definitely go with DISCUS i love mine their personalities are awesome once they get used to u they pretty much eat out of ur hands

Jesselav1233 said:
I'm new to discus so I can't offer to much I will say the smaller discus seem to acclimate much easier to different tanks then the larger ones but I HIGHLY recommend checking out hidden reef and definitely go with DISCUS i love mine their personalities are awesome once they get used to u they pretty much eat out of ur hands

Yeah and its best to introduce more than one at a time. Buying as juveniles is what you want because its cheaper and they'll learn to get along from the start

paytertot said:
Yeah and its best to introduce more than one at a time. Buying as juveniles is what you want because its cheaper and they'll learn to get along from the start

Really?? I've heard to try n stay clear of juveniles?? Harder to keep alive and whatnot, more prone to disease n whatnot

DanS180 said:
Really?? I've heard to try n stay clear of juveniles?? Harder to keep alive and whatnot, more prone to disease n whatnot

Really? I bought all of mine when they were like maybe 3 inches max. No problems.

paytertot said:
Really? I bought all of mine when they were like maybe 3 inches max. No problems.

Hmm.. maybe ill take a chance with them, I found cheap discus online between 20-50 each

that's what I said lol, owner of my LFS said they are though, he know his stuff so i believe him lol

Eh. Nah. Freshwater stingrays are in the Potamotrygonidae family and discus are cichlids. Not closely related at all.

I got several small juveniles in a group and had several casualties over the year or so they were growing out, so I usually recommend to get them as big as possible. Once they hit about 4" or so they were good to go.

jetajockey said:
Eh. Nah. Freshwater stingrays are in the Potamotrygonidae family and discus are cichlids.

Hmm then I guess he stands corrected lol, in any event, I've seen them in the same tank together before and they seem to do just fine together

Yes I've heard of discus/stingray tanks, the question is if you can house a freshwater stingray properly in that particular tank, though. They really need a large footprint and room to move, so it really limits your decor options.

I got my discus from angelfishusa.net . Overall the fish were decent quality, but like I said, several casualties. I'm not one to do daily water changes for any fish, so they had to adapt to my routine just like the rest of my fish do. Whether that was part of the problem or not, who knows.

jetajockey said:
Eh. Nah. Freshwater stingrays are in the Potamotrygonidae family and discus are cichlids. Not closely related at all.

I got several small juveniles in a group and had several casualties over the year or so they were growing out, so I usually recommend to get them as big as possible. Once they hit about 4" or so they were good to go.

I don't understand the problem with juvies. I've always bought mine that way. Casualties from what?

jetajockey said:
Yes I've heard of discus/stingray tanks, the question is if you can house a freshwater stingray properly in that particular tank, though. They really need a large footprint and room to move, so it really limits your decor options.

Yeah that's what I heard also.. stingrays just an option though at this time, guess time will tell

Back
Top Bottom