New Centerpiece ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
Yes I've heard of discus/stingray tanks, the question is if you can house a freshwater stingray properly in that particular tank, though. They really need a large footprint and room to move, so it really limits your decor options.

I got my discus from angelfishusa.net . Overall the fish were decent quality, but like I said, several casualties. I'm not one to do daily water changes for any fish, so they had to adapt to my routine just like the rest of my fish do. Whether that was part of the problem or not, who knows.

I'm gonna say it had everything to do with it. They say small discus are very picky with water, NEED it to be clean at all times so without doing pwc you've probably caused some issues :/

DanS180 said:
I'm gonna say it had everything to do with it. They say small discus are very picky with water, NEED it to be clean at all times so without doing pwc you've probably caused some issues :/

I only did weekly pwcs with my juvies. I still don't get it. Lol

paytertot said:
All 7 of them? They are from different places too. Well whatever I suppose. Lol.

Like I said, lucky, either that or u have very clean water and the right temperature lol I just don't know if i would wanna take a chance with a juvenile at $50 a pop lol

DanS180 said:
Like I said, lucky, either that or u have very clean water and the right temperature lol I just don't know if i would wanna take a chance with a juvenile at $50 a pop lol

Okie dokie, your choice lol.

absolutangel04 said:
Do you have anything in the tank yet, or are starting stocking from scratch?

I have fish in there now that i am going to be getting rid of soon, selling or donating, but then I'm going to start up a discus tank

Considering that there's tons of reports of difficulties with juvenile discus, even on the sites that specialize in them, I would say that they are more difficult than most fish.

Mine never had any real symptoms, just random dieoffs.

jetajockey said:
Considering that there's tons of reports of difficulties with juvenile discus, even on the sites that specialize in them, I would say that they are more difficult than most fish.

Alright alright lol I was just saying what my experience is. The only time I've ever had a discus die was after our huge tornado last year. That was a pretty one too :/

jetajockey said:

Hmm yeah that's odd, that stinks tho :/

paytertot said:
Alright alright lol I was just saying what my experience is. The only time I've ever had a discus die was after our huge tornado last year. That was a pretty one too :/

Aww :/ did it get sucked out of the tank? Lol jk!!! That sucks tho, I hate when fish die esp ones that you've had for a long time. No bueno

DanS180 said:
Aww :/ did it get sucked out of the tank? Lol jk!!! That sucks tho, I hate when fish die esp ones that you've had for a long time. No bueno

Lol no it didn't get sucked up, but half the town did! I'm from Joplin mo lol. Naw the power was out for several days and I did what I could but he was just too stressed.

I am going to agree with jetajockey on this one. I totally support getting discus if you want them. They are beautiful. I understand that paytertot has had good luck with her discus so far, but just keep in mind that is not actually the norm. Lots of people who have successfully kept discus for YEARS will tell you that can be sensitive and finicky sometimes.
By the way, I have serious doubts that your lfs guy knows his stuff if he told you sting rays and discus are in the same family. Not a good sign. But, it sounds like you are doing a lot of your own research and deciding carefully, so that's good.
I hope you get nice, easy discus too though.

paytertot said:
Lol no it didn't get sucked up, but half the town did! I'm from Joplin mo lol. Naw the power was out for several days and I did what I could but he was just too stressed.

Aww that's a shame :(

absolutangel04 said:
I am going to agree with jetajockey on this one. I totally support getting discus if you want them. They are beautiful. I understand that paytertot has had good luck with her discus so far, but just keep in mind that is not actually the norm. Lots of people who have successfully kept discus for YEARS will tell you that can be sensitive and finicky sometimes.
By the way, I have serious doubts that your lfs guy knows his stuff if he told you sting rays and discus are in the same family. Not a good sign. But, it sounds like you are doing a lot of your own research and deciding carefully, so that's good.
I hope you get nice, easy discus too though.

Thank you! Yeah I've been reading a lot about them but still have questions bc everywhere I read says something different :/ and as for my LFS guy.. yeah I think Ill just take matters into my own hands from now on lol :)

Thank you! Yeah I've been reading a lot about them but still have questions bc everywhere I read says something different :/ and as for my LFS guy.. yeah I think Ill just take matters into my own hands from now on lol :)

Yes, the internet is a mess of conflicting info sometimes. Lol. It's definitely good to ask on here though, there are a lot of discus keepers. I also suggest searching through the discus threads and looking for other discus-knowledgeable members who are still active and you can PM them for additional help. There is a little search tab on the top strip of the page that comes in handy for me all the time. :)
As for the lfs guy, maybe you should get him a book about rays for his next birthday. ;)

Back
Top Bottom