New Cichlids with Ick!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy Z

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone! I have a newly cycled aquarium that have perfect water parameters. I introduced 5 new cichlids a week ago and I noticed two of them got a few white spots on thier faces two days after I put them in the tank. I quickly diagnosed as ick and slowly increased the temp to 86F over the course of 24 hours. the very next morning I woke up and all but one spec was gone on each of the two fish.:)

I went ahead and dosed API aquarium salt per recommended dosage on package(1 table spoon per 5 gallons). I figured this wouldn't hurt and maybe would help get rid of the last specs of ick. Over the next two days I noticed a lot more specs on the two fish's fins and sides.:(

And that is where I currently am. My thoughts are the new specs that have shown up were maybe already burrowed into the fish and are just going through the life cycle and are just now showing up since they can't be killed while on the fish.

I would like to know your opinions. Should I continue the heat and salt treatment? Should I increase the amount of salt? Should I start using medication?(I have API Super Ick Cure on hand) Should I do water changes?

Please let me know your thoughts. I appreaciate all the help and advice in advanced.:thanks:

~JZ

Hey Everyone! I have a newly cycled aquarium that have perfect water parameters. I introduced 5 new cichlids a week ago and I noticed two of them got a few white spots on thier faces two days after I put them in the tank. I quickly diagnosed as ick and slowly increased the temp to 86F over the course of 24 hours. the very next morning I woke up and all but one spec was gone on each of the two fish.:)

I went ahead and dosed API aquarium salt per recommended dosage on package(1 table spoon per 5 gallons). I figured this wouldn't hurt and maybe would help get rid of the last specs of ick. Over the next two days I noticed a lot more specs on the two fish's fins and sides.:(

And that is where I currently am. My thoughts are the new specs that have shown up were maybe already burrowed into the fish and are just going through the life cycle and are just now showing up since they can't be killed while on the fish.

I would like to know your opinions. Should I continue the heat and salt treatment? Should I increase the amount of salt? Should I start using medication?(I have API Super Ick Cure on hand) Should I do water changes?

Please let me know your thoughts. I appreaciate all the help and advice in advanced.:thanks:

~JZ

Keep up with the heat and I've had good results personally with medication the key is to jump on it as soon as you see it as you have done other wise it can get out of hand fast

Back
Top Bottom