new discus setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hoping some discus guys will take a look and help out.
Just got a new 125 full setup. The plan is 7 or 9 discus and tank mates, cardinal tetras, or rummy one tetras, not yet decided...
Wanting to order this RO unit:
Good deal?http://www.ebay.com/itm/0PPM-Portab...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item588584f6b6

My tap water is consistently 0 ammo, 0 trite, 5 trate, ph of 7.8-8.2, and kh of 9-10.
Obviously I need to cut with RO for a ideal discus environment, but I am not sure how much?
I do plan on having live driftwood, and plants with C02 to help with pH, but would peat also be a necessity, or should I wait until things are running first and continue water testing to check?

Last edited:
No clue if that's a good deal.

Discus "experts" argue without end in terms of ph and hardness requirements. More than anything you don't want fluctuating parameters, and you'll be changing a lot of water - some breeders change 50% a day. Whatever ratio you go with your hardness will remain constant - PH may be a different issue. Peat will soften the water somewhat if you use it in a filter, and it will also lower Ph. Most folk I know use peat or RO, but not both.

FWIW, hardness seems to be more important than ph when it comes to discus (at least the "experts" can agree on that more). As you'll be changing water pretty frequently and at the same ratio - your Ph will probably remain pretty stable. My best advice is to see if you can find some successful discus keepers using the same aquifer as you (or at least one with very similar ph and hardness parameters) and see what they do.

I do have a local breeder, and they has said they use 50/50 tap and ro. But I am not on the wpsame water grid as them unfortunately...

I use tap water for my discus. I don't think they're as troublesome as most people think. As long as the water parameters are stable, and you do plenty of water changes, they'll do well. Be sure to match the conditions of your breeder's water. Ph and temp etc. I have a school of cardinals in with mine and they do a great job of picking up the leftover food.

Well, water is the problem, my kH is about twice as high as what I see most people with discus at...
All 3 local stores that have discus have nearly identical discus params:
PH 6.6-6.8, kH of 3-6 temp 84-86
And they all use RO water with tap.
Wll, I will have to play and see what gets what before everything is all said and done.

Last edited:
herp_mommy said:
I use tap water for my discus. I don't think they're as troublesome as most people think. As long as the water parameters are stable, and you do plenty of water changes, they'll do well. Be sure to match the conditions of your breeder's water. Ph and temp etc. I have a school of cardinals in with mine and they do a great job of picking up the leftover food.

What are you water params if you don't mind me asking?

pH is 7, kH is around 4 or 5, temp is 84. Luckily I have tap water that is very close to this straight from the tap.

Back
Top Bottom