New filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boadams87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would adding a new filter to my tank cause a mini cycle? Added a new fx5 last week and my amm and trites are up!!!!

Depends..did you get rid of your old filter?? If so, you basically started your cycle over again.

If you still have both filters, then thats weird. Just to PWC's

Just adding a new filter will not cause a mini cycle but if you threw out any filter media from the established filter then it would.
Lots of PWC until the bacteria has time to multiply to a level that can support your fish.

Agreed with what's been said by Gboy66 and Mumma.of.two. Your practically undergoing a new cycle from scratch if you discarded the old filter media.

Your saving grace may be the substrate should have bacterial colonies to help your tank seed a bit faster than before.

Testing and PWC's will be the order of the day for the next couple of weeks.

jcolon said:
Then I agree with Gboy66 ... that is weird. How are you testing the water? API test master kit or test strips?

Im using the api freshwater kit. And i didn't throw anything away. So strange.

Did you rinse out the new filter & new media before using? Perhaps there was some residue that had an effect. My second idea is did you test before or after a pwc? Perhaps something is amiss with your tap- its worth testing it to be sure. In the meantime, just keep up with your pwcs to keep everything in check.

jlk said:
Did you rinse out the new filter & new media before using? Perhaps there was some residue that had an effect. My second idea is did you test before or after a pwc? Perhaps something is amiss with your tap- its worth testing it to be sure. In the meantime, just keep up with your pwcs to keep everything in check.

I didn't touch my old filter at all. I tested b4 I did a wc. Im waiting an hr to test again!

Not the old filter- the new filter. Did you rinse it out & the new media before using it? I would also check your tap just to be sure nothing is out of whack. Otherwise, this is very weird!!

jlk said:
Not the old filter- the new filter. Did you rinse it out & the new media before using it? I would also check your tap just to be sure nothing is out of whack. Otherwise, this is very weird!!

Its an fx5 and everything inside was new, the pump was used so I washed it good and hooked it up. Before I hooked it up i tested the water and everything was fine. Even when I filled the pump with 2 gallons I added prime to that water also. So idk

Mumma.of.two said:
Did you stir any waste up? Heavily gravel vacuum? Remove plants or decor? Change substrates? Add fish?

No. I did my regular weekly change then added the new filter.

jlk said:

Have nothing in my tap except <.25 amm. Very light green.

Mumma.of.two said:
Just a thought but maybe the extra flow from the fx5 stirred up some mulm and caused the spike? idk....

I guess cause its a very strong current.

Lol maybe you didnt shakethe bottles hard enough and your test was wrong?? This is like a puzzle lol!!!

Gboy66 said:
Lol maybe you didnt shakethe bottles hard enough and your test was wrong?? This is like a puzzle lol!!!

Lol. I always beat those 2. But the amm is up and it doesn't take much shaking

Back
Top Bottom