New fish not doing well at all...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I ordered a beautiful Scott's Fairy Wrasse off liveaquaria's Diver's Den and it came today but it doesn't look like it is doing well at all.

I acclimated him for an hour and a half - what struck me as bad about his packing is that there was a lot of feces in the bag with him. I am guessing that raised the ammonia levels in the bag during the 12 hours he was there and stressed him out. Right now he is in my tank for about 10 hours but he is breathing VERY rapidly and isn't really swimming. He can swim but mostly he just chooses to chill on the sand bed.

My guess is he is in shock still, so I have kept the aquarium lights off all day and put stress coat in the tank as well as 5 drops of Garlic Xtreme. Anything else I can do to help him survive?

Just keep the water perameters in check , be ready for a several water changes . Just keep the stress low as you are already doing . Make sure you have good air exchange on the top ... give him time he should be fine he is just very stressed right now .... I would say that it very well could have rose the ammonia level keeping him calm now will help him recover . I have even added a towel(wrapped around the tank not over the top that can impede with air/gas exchange) to keep our tank dark after adding fish that are really stressed , just peel away and peek .

I agree. I would also call them and let them know.

Yeh I called them yesterday and told them right away what was up so it is on file with the order. I am also wondering if he has some kind of Fungus on his mouth - it looks like he has some kind of fuzzy stuff on his mouth and he is also kinda being harassed by my dwarf hermit crabs.

Which I think is a really bad sign since he is kinda a big fish compared to them (4.5"). :(

Well unfortunately he kicked the can while I was at class today, came back to find him dead :(.

Bummer, sorry for your loss. But LA has a guarantee right?

Sorry for your loss . Just call and let them know they have one of the best teams around . They may ask for test results via phone. But you are covered

Yes they do, they even refunded shipping since this was the only animal that I had on this order which was a very unexpected but pleasant suprise.

Back
Top Bottom