New Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember exactly but there was little to no nitrite and ammonium and the smallest amount of nitrate the only thing that needed the slightest attention is water hardness has to do with where I live next time I do a water change I'm going to put some RO water in there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Without a test kit or actual readings, you will have no idea how much you will be altering the pH and hardness.
Did the LFS say how much RO they are adding to their water?
If you can't measure it, then don't mess with it.

You need to worry about the ammonia and nitrite before you do that. If you are getting ammonia and nitrite readings, it means your tank isn't fully cycled. These compounds are toxic to your fish.

The most important thing with many parameters (water hardness, pH, etc.) is that you keep them constant. Unless your levels are extreme, the fish will be better off being left to adapt to them than if you start tinkering with it and the levels begin to fluctuate.

But before you even think about that, get your tank cycled! :)

When I tested water I had neither according to petco

Without a test kit or actual readings, you will have no idea how much you will be altering the pH and hardness.
Did the LFS say how much RO they are adding to their water?
If you can't measure it, then don't mess with it.

No I have RO water at work so I was going to bring home a 5 gal bucket of that

As far as the cycling goes. I think if you go and buy the start right tablets or some quick start from wal-mart you should be fine. I know I am going to catch some flack from some folks. It was a rookie mistake I guess. My first tank I had I bought a little 20 gallon tank from wal-mart and bought the start right tablets that come in a box. I just fallowed the directions and let the tank and filter run for a day. I bought some Neon Tetras and Tiger barbs the next day. I had the Tiger barbs for two years and just gave them and my tank to my father in law. They are healthy, happy, and thriving along with the 3 Pictus catfish. I mean I could be wrong for what I did but it seemed that it all worked out okay. with your tank I would put a few tiger barbs in there and maybe some sword tails. They are pretty hardy as well. Those where my learning fish.

As far as the cycling goes. I think if you go and buy the start right tablets or some quick start from wal-mart you should be fine. I know I am going to catch some flack from some folks. It was a rookie mistake I guess. My first tank I had I bought a little 20 gallon tank from wal-mart and bought the start right tablets that come in a box. I just fallowed the directions and let the tank and filter run for a day. I bought some Neon Tetras and Tiger barbs the next day. I had the Tiger barbs for two years and just gave them and my tank to my father in law. They are healthy, happy, and thriving along with the 3 Pictus catfish. I mean I could be wrong for what I did but it seemed that it all worked out okay. with your tank I would put a few tiger barbs in there and maybe some sword tails. They are pretty hardy as well. Those where my learning fish.

I do have some quick start use it every water change and when I was filling tank it's probably the reason I don't have any ammonium levels

I wouldn't recommend tiger barbs in any peaceful community tank. They are extremely notorious for fin nipping other fish. Even if you give them a large school.

Caleb

I wouldn't recommend tiger barbs in any peaceful community tank. They are extremely notorious for fin nipping other fish. Even if you give them a large school.

Caleb

Especially seeing as I have guppies I was thinking about some tetras ! Have you heard that gourami's will fight? Eachother?

In my experience with the Tiger barb. I can say this. I have housed them with a Pink Tail pink tail chalceus, Pictus Catfish, other tetras, and neons and never once did I have a problem. I can only speak from my experience though. I heard with angle fish and bettas they could nip at those fishes fins.

Especially seeing as I have guppies I was thinking about some tetras ! Have you heard that gourami's will fight? Eachother?

Except for sparkling gourami, yes gourami will fight each other. Unless you can sex yours I wouldn't add any more of them.

Caleb

I'm not too completely sure what I'm going to do probably get a pair of blue dwarf gourami's

I'm not too completely sure what I'm going to do probably get a pair of blue dwarf gourami's

Depending on your source, female DGs can be difficult to get. They are plain silver, so are rarely imported. Even pairs may not pair up and may fight.

Remember Gouramis are cousins to Bettas. Pearl Gouramis are usually peaceful. Other species ? Not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 of my lfs always has females, so I thought I'd give a pair a go, she has fin nipped him to death within a week, my fault for thinking problem was fin rot I guess, here's the poor guy in quarantine after busting her having a crack at himImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447353867.798952.jpg
He was dead by the morning and I took her back the following day cos she had turned her aggression to the rasboras, female dg, worst fish I've ever had

I'm surprised by all the horror stories on here, from what I've read I was under the impression that dwarf gouramis are very peaceful fish (some more than others but all reasonably peaceful nonetheless).

Now I can only assume that what I've read (on prominent sites like liveaquaria.com and animal-world.com) was referring to DG's temperament with other fish but not with their own kind? Is this more accurate?

Not planning to buy any soon, just posting this for anyone who is to try to help avoid a horror story.

I'm surprised by all the horror stories on here, from what I've read I was under the impression that dwarf gouramis are very peaceful fish (some more than others but all reasonably peaceful nonetheless).

Now I can only assume that what I've read (on prominent sites like liveaquaria.com and animal-world.com) was referring to DG's temperament with other fish but not with their own kind? Is this more accurate?

Not planning to buy any soon, just posting this for anyone who is to try to help avoid a horror story.

Yes. They are nightmares to their own species. With other fish they are very community friendly.

Caleb

Yes. They are nightmares to their own species. With other fish they are very community friendly.

Caleb

So this is what I ended up doing I got
3 Cory cats
1 powder blue dwarf gourami
6 seprae tetras
And the original 7/8 guppies I added another Amazon sword and one underwater primrose
Tank looks way cool!!

I replaced serpae tetras for glow light tetras 10

Everything is muy Bueno no one is nipping or chasing

Back
Top Bottom