New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have six platies and a loach. Three of the platies are showing slight signs of ich although it could be velvet. Or it could be, hopefully, nothing. Mom says I'm just a paranoid new owner but even if I am, it's better to be safe than sorry. All six platies are 'flashing' but there's no good evidence of fin clamping.

The only ones showing 'white spots' are the three I got from one pet shop. The other three were bought from another fish shop and seem healthy and happy, except one female who is exceptionally mean but only in the presence of sinking shrimp pellets.

I was irked when I read somewhere that after you've transported a fish, you shouldn't add the water from the pet shop tank, to yours. The pet shop lady (who specializes in fish, mind you) told me I should. What's the deal with that?

I want to know your opinions on anything in the above three paragraphs and I have already asked a fellow forum member what medication they used to treat ich so please refrain from medication suggestions.

If they have spots and they are flashing it sure sounds like ich. What are the parameters of the tank?

I wouldn't use meds at all. Just heat.

Yes, the spots aren't visible until you get very very close to them and actually look for them.

It's a ten gallon tank that is 20 inches long by 10 inches wide by 12 inches high.

I did a partial water change and I did water tests today and nothing was different except my pH which lowered from 8 to around 7.2 which I was pleased with.

As for heat, my heater isn't able to be set to a temperature. It's made to keep the water between around 75-80 degrees F. And I can't run out and getting one that can be set this very moment but perhaps within the next few days. What should I expect for prices?

It is my understanding that these high temperatures can kill all stages of the parasite, is this correct?

That is correct it will kill the stuff. You need a 100 what heater. I would guess 20 dollars. Online you probably could do better.

No ammonia or nitrites? The symptoms you describe can also come from that.

Okay that is reasonable if it will save my fish!

No nitrites whatsoever. There was an ammonia spike, but a very small one. It went from 0 to between .5 and 1ppm. It was not closer to either color but if I had to choose what I thought it more closely resembled, I would choose 1ppm. This was also after my water change, didn't think to test it before until I was already siphoning.

You should only need a 50w heater for a 10 gallon, normally 3-5watts per gallon is what is recommended(depends on ambeint temps). Now rich is a smart person so he may know more than I, maybe a 50w heater wont get it hot enough? I hear 87deg F is ballpark for ich treatments(remember to SLOWLY raise temp, then 2weeks later SLOWLY lower temps back down).

Anyway good heaters are ~$20 online for 50w or 100w. Visi-therm stealth is what many like.

Last edited:
Rich did his math wrong. 5 times 10 is obviously beyond my arithmetic skills.

1 ppm after a water change is normal for a cycling tank, but it means your ammonia was pretty high, since you took it after a water change and could be causing the symptoms. Do water changes to keep it under .5ppm.

I have a 50w heater, it just automatically heats to a temperature no lower than 75 and no higher than 80. So I can't raise it to the temperature which will kill the parasites.

I will start searching for a new heater soon, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom