new fish!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Firefliesrscary

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay so thanks to some advice from my local fish store and bad research on my part my fish all died of ich, caused from stress apparently. So right now I was able to save my starfish (chocolate chip), sally light foot crab, and my turbo snail. i have a 30 gallon tank with lots of live rock and hiding places, good lighting, and Ive been continuously testing my water levels which are perfect. The tank has been disease free for about 2 months. i have lots of experience with freshwater and brackish fish but only a little over a year of experience with salt water. Im not too finicky on the money side but please leave some suggestions for a good fish.

Depends on what you want...a 30 gallon will give you room for a couple of fish, but not too many - so you're going to want to pick personality-filled fishes. With a limited bioload you have to make each inch of fish count, so start browsing liveaquaria (Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums) and see what appeals. Most of the fish in that section are hardy and generally out and about more often then in hiding.

Personally, for a tank that size, I'd start off with an ocellaris clown. Easy to keep, full of personality, can take a bit in terms of water quality variations...and it's a fish that will constantly be out and about and attracting attention to your tank. Take their gallon recommendations seriously - some of those fish can get quite large and would rapidly overtake your tank. Depending on your substrate a sleeper goby could be fun too - they're constantly sifting sand and out and about.

im looking for kind of an akward fish, almost ugly in a way and i only want one fish in the tank either that or a pair

Ah ok so you want one big, badass fish essentially.

How about the black and white heniochus? Very pretty, out and about - generally requires a bit of a larger tank, but if he's the only fish and you buy a young one you could be alright...

Could also get a picasso trigger if it's really the only fish you're getting. Again, usually a fish for a bigger tank but if it's flying solo it should be okay if you buy a young fish....

Stingfishes are interesting, if not terribly common, as well...but make sure it's the only fish you're adding as they're both some what aggressive and venemous...Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orangebanded Stingfish

Also, browse puffer fish - they're extremely entertaining, though most require a far larger tank then what you have - I believe there's a couple of varieties that could do ok. I kept a porcupine puffer in a 36 for awhile, but I bought him when he was teeny tiny and eventually had to move him to a friend's 300 gallon...he was just too durn big and started behaving in undesirable ways (like eating my clownfish).

Ohh i didnt see that he had a 30 gal:( but it does say they are peaceful, and wasent he only going to put in one cool fish?

One fish that requires 50 gallons shouldn't be put in a 30gallon, reguardless of how small you get them.

Then why are you suggesting a betta if he's "just getting one fish"?

Different types of gobys and wrasses will give you plenty of color and personality.

Back
Top Bottom