New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right, another danio is practically dead now .. that leaves 3 ..

MattJ said:
I can the danios to a 10litre bucket that has only been used for the aquarium with water from the aquarium ... and treat for white spot using medication?

This would however, have no heater but would be at room temperature

If it's the best you can do then I suggest you do it. Put the heating on (house heating) should help a bit.

We had to do it. Unfortunately we were too late and the fish died anyway. But you need to separate them ASAP.
Hope the others don't get sick.

My understanding of ich (and it is quite limited), is that it can lie dormant and is present much more than we believe. Only when a fish has a weakened immune system from stress can the parasite really get a foot hold. So it doesn't necessarily mean that the main tank is done for...even if the Danios have been in there.

My main focus would be on removing the Danios to an emergency tank...and finding a way to get them back to the store so you don't have to deal with treating them in a second tank that you don't have at the moment.

Just scanned a few more articles and 18c is the minimum but the ambient temperature of your house should be at least that I would think.

Right, the 3 danios that are alive are in the bucket .. one died (it went very pale!!)

6 tetras in the main tank with filter and heater

Right, the 3 danios that are alive are in the bucket .. one died (it went very pale!!)

6 tetras in the main tank with filter and heater

Do you have an air stone you can put in there with them? Again, I know it's not a possibility right now....but as soon as you have a chance, stick the bucket in your back seat and drive them right on over to the store. Their best chance of survival will be to go into the medicated tank with the other sick fish at the lfs.

The store shuts soon and and I'm at work tomorrow and all week (it isn't open evenings for some reason, which is strange considering most people work during the day!) .. I'm not avoiding going back bit it just really isn't possible right now!

It's only open 10-5 daily and shut on a Wednesday

MattJ said:
The store shuts soon and and I'm at work tomorrow and all week (it isn't open evenings for some reason, which is strange considering most people work during the day!) .. I'm not avoiding going back bit it just really isn't possible right now!

It's only open 10-5 daily and shut on a Wednesday

Unfortunately that also limits treatment methods. This is a toss-up for me. One side you can leave them in the bucket and let nature run it's course while constantly changing their water to prevent ammo buildup, or put them back in the main tank and treat all the inhabitants with only heat. Sadly, I'd choose the bucket method, but it's your call.

Well you've done the best you can for now. There out of the tank. I would keep a very close eye on your tetras.
It must have been a very bad batch from the supplier if the store has started medication. It happens though.
All you can do is do your best. Not many people, myself included currently have a hospital tank! It's certainly worth considering in future. But although not ideal, the bucket will serve instead.
Good luck to the other fish!

Indeed, I think as soon as funds allow a second tank may have to be purchased!

I think for now, I will stick with the bucket ..

I know I am new to fish keeping and wanted to learn but didn't think I'd be thrown in at the deep end!!!

I think I'm with Eco on this one and, although I hate to say it, maybe euthanasia is an option. The most humane method I know about is the Oil of Cloves method described here What Is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish?. Apparently the AVMA approve this method, don't know what the UK version thinks. Oil of Cloves can be bought from any chemists, Boots sell it for about £1.30.

That came accross my mind but I didn't want to give up at the first hurdle!!

I want to learn and have happy, healthy fish!

Not that it's my decision or my opinion holds a lot of water, but I'm with trying to keep them alive. I have an injured cichlid that has hung on for 6 months or so. He is eating and swims a little but he doesnt seem to be in any pain or distress. My fish is either paralyzed or has something really wrong with him but I didn't give up.

Just my opinion. :-D

I'm not saying to euthanize right off the bat either...but because there's no access to a lfs, there's not any treatment options other than putting the Danios back in the DT and simply raising the temperature of the tank. If we just leave them in a bucket, the ich and fin rot will keep getting worse without the possibility of meds or salt for a week. if put back in the tank, the ich will absolutely spread if it hasn't already only compounding the problem (IMO). Believe me, the reason I spend so much time on the site is because I feel like I can help fish from suffering simply by spending time here. But I think this is one of those "for the greater good" situations. If they were my fish, I'd leave them in the bucket with an air stone, monitor them and the fish in the DT very closely, and only euthanize if the Danio is absolutely beyond help and suffering. And of course...try to sneak to the LFS for meds and or salt during a lunch break.

The danios seems happy enough in the bucket - these do not seem to have fin rot but just ich. (Although I am no expert!)

Depending on how we are looking in the morning, I will try get to LFS tomorrow on lunch - well, a Pet Store which will sell meds/aqua salt.

The tetras in the main tank again seem to be ok - again no expert! Probably wondering where their mates went!

MattJ said:
The danios seems happy enough in the bucket - these do not seem to have fin rot but just ich. (Although I am no expert!)

Depending on how we are looking in the morning, I will try get to LFS tomorrow on lunch - well, a Pet Store which will sell meds/aqua salt.

The tetras in the main tank again seem to be ok - again no expert! Probably wondering where their mates went!

If you're going to pick up salt / meds / possibly a super cheap tank and filter...you'll need to pick up an inexpensive heater as well since increased temperature is also part of the treatment. As long as they're happy in the bucket and you have an airstone for them to keep the surface agitated, you coule just keep treating them in there with a heater if buying a cheap tank and filter isn't an option. Remember you're going to need to do pwc's very often because the ammonia will build up very quickly in there.

My only concern is the next 12 hours (well not quite 12) .. but overnight ... can't do PWC all night !!

Back
Top Bottom