New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will do ..

Redosed to 1ppm last night. Did same tonight.

Will leave it Fri night and then do big PWC change Sat morning .. ensure levels are 0, ensure nitrates <20 and then go bet my first lot of fish..

Reckon add 6 tetras first? or 6 danios? Which first .. then how long til other lot?

Pygmy corries will be next, followed by a dwarf gourami or bol. ram depending upton what LFS stock !

I will do ..

Redosed to 1ppm last night. Did same tonight.

Will leave it Fri night and then do big PWC change Sat morning .. ensure levels are 0, ensure nitrates <20 and then go bet my first lot of fish..

Reckon add 6 tetras first? or 6 danios? Which first .. then how long til other lot?

Pygmy corries will be next, followed by a dwarf gourami or bol. ram depending upton what LFS stock !

How many gallons? (sorry my conversions aren't great). You cycled at 4ppm right?

I am. .. I retested twice (last night was my last) and 4ppm > 0 amm and nitrItes in 24hrs ..

It's

70. litres
15.5 UK gallons
18.7 US gallons

Oops, I saw it was 18 and change. One of the purposes of fishless cycling is to have the ability to stock a large % of your fish immediately. A lot of people err on the side of caution, but as long as you are adding peaceful community fish...I don't see any problems. In my 48 gallon I added 9 neons, 7 Red Eye Tetras and 8 Leopard Danio / Glofish mixed school right off the bat. My bio-filter didn't blink an eye and all the fish were more than happy and content.

As long as you cycled at 4ppm, I think it'd be perfectly acceptable to add both the Tetras and Danios at once. I'd wait a week or two keeping an eye on water parameters, add the Corys, wait a week or two then add the Ram or Dwarf Gourami to finish things off. If you planned on adding shrimp at any point (I have Amanos and RCS) they have virtually no bio-load so you can add as many as you want, whenever you want.

Yeah, on the Shrimp I heard they were best kept in planted tanks? Mine is unplanted .. I wasn't too worried either way about keeping them so makes no difference although if they'd be okay they may add a bit of extra life..

Adding 6 tetras and 6 danios is fine then ... happy to wait after that .. I'm out all tomorrow thats all and didn't want to get to Saturday without knowing what I was going to the LFS for !!

Thanks

Yeah, on the Shrimp I heard they were best kept in planted tanks? Mine is unplanted .. I wasn't too worried either way about keeping them so makes no difference although if they'd be okay they may add a bit of extra life..

Adding 6 tetras and 6 danios is fine then ... happy to wait after that .. I'm out all tomorrow thats all and didn't want to get to Saturday without knowing what I was going to the LFS for !!

Thanks

Shrimp are just kind of a little bonus item to have in the tank. They help keep things clean and it's cool to see them walking around. As long as you have some places they can hide, they'll be fine in an unplanted tank. You could always pick up a handful of Java Moss somewhere and they'd absolutely love to hang out in there. Java moss basically grows in the dark and you can stick it on anything in the tank.

Red Cherry Shrimp breed like crazy so they're kind of a self sustaining population even if some of your fish decide to make a snack out of any baabies, and Amano shrimp are fantastic algae eaters (although a little creepy looking TBH).

You'll be absolutely fine adding the Danios and Tetras at first :). Make sure you post some pics when you get them. Good job on your fishless cycle!

Right, I have my tetras .. the LFS I went to didn't have much in the way of Danios at all!

I will most likely shoot up to an alternative tomorrow to try get the danios so the tank isn't hugely under stocked!!

How the friggin **** do you take photos of your fish?? These Neons are so fast!

May have to borrow my bro's SLR one day!!

Checked with another highly reputable LFS about what danios they stock so there is tomorrow sorted!

My neons seem to be doing great.

Danios are being acclimatized as I type.

Right, one of my leopard danios died.. looks like he had something wrong with him?

Was like that when I got him but seemed fine, swimming round happy and a Google search didn't show much luck

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110620_074418.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_074418.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 112
Red on tail (which is tiny compared to others), at body end

Apologies for poor photo

Another looked similar but not as bad, he also died this morning.. all others checked and no red marks on tails but a couple have white marks on the top of thier body

Again

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110620_124616.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110620_124616.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 76
Edit: water parameters are fine, and below is a Youtube video from my phone trying to show the remaining danios ..

Since uploading the video - the fish swimming at the top of the surface has since been removed from the tank as it was looking very unhealthy .. still hanging in there atm but keeps sinking and floating around in circles before moving a bit then sinking again ... did I get a bad batch of danios maybe??

One danio is swimming at the surface and the other three are darting round the tank as fish should!

I've contacted the LFS store I got them from explaining - am awaiting a response.

If the others are going to die too then I'd rather get them out asap and reduce the risk of the tetras being affected too!

I've been following your thread and the fish dying so far is just awful! I'm guessing you got a batch of bad fish which totally stinks.

Good luck with the rest of your fish. :)

There are 4 danios still in my tank .. they seem to like it at the surface !!

Not sure what to do with them now :( do I leave them and hope they survive? I don't have anywhere to move them to really but don't want them to spread any disease to the tetras ?

Back
Top Bottom