New(ish) 55g setup :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just want to make sure 55g is enough room for all of these fish :)

The blood parrot may prove to be difficult in the long run due to size and temper. Then again, I can't stand BP's so maybe that's just my bias showing lol

Freakgecko91 said:
I would definitely add some more plants and caves to your tank, and fill out that tiger barb school, I usually keep my schools of dither fish at around 7-8. This will help them be less nippy towards tankmates as they'll focus on each other and their own pecking order

Totally agree, bring the Tigers up to 7-8, you could even mix it up with standard Tigers or green as they still usually stay together. I also feel the same about the Blood Parrots, but its personal preference - they guy who owns my LFS loves them and has a show tank with them, his are very placid, but not always the case. Add the Firemouth and Rainbow maybe leaving a week or so between each, but Definately add more plants, real or fake and caves are really important for Cichlids, either buy stones and build them yourself or just buy ready made fake Cichlids caves of eBay, amazon or the fish shop. Don't be put off by real plants, some are really easy to keep - Amazon swords, Cabomba, Vallisneria all good tall plants, good for the water and easy to grow just use a liquid fertiliser like Seachem Flourish, or just use root tabs in the gravel. Sajicas would look really good in your tank, would go well with your colours.

Attachments

• image-1076400758.jpg
    image-1076400758.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 60
Just a friendly reminder that there is a group for SA/CA cichlids, and you can find it by going to my profile :)

No problem! I made SOOO many mistakes when I set up my first tank 7 months ago, but I've hit the articles hard and spent all 7 months researching everything I possibly can! I've had exposure to cichlids for years, but it wasn't until last year that I took the leap to get into them, and now I can't get enough! Research is by far the key to a successful aquarium, experience is the key to a successful hobby ;) Gotta start somewhere, right?

Definitely! I've been glued to AA since I discovered it a week or so ago.. Just can't get enough! Glad to have the help and support of fellow members!

Will upload pictures as soon as I get to add some cichlid rocks, caves and more plants.. and eventually more barbs and the fire mouth and rainbow. Check back soon:)

Back
Top Bottom