new member in maryland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where are you located that it takes 20min and 1/4 tank?? HOT is about 20 min as well from me sometimes more but worth the drive

Wow that's terrible mileage you must feel stuck in laurel. I go to their ice skating rink sometimes haha

About a 20 minute ride for me too, in parkville. Great sellection. They are my #2 only because of distance. Exotic aquatics is almost walking distance from me.

Any of you other MD peeps cichlid lovers? The CCA meets af JFK High School every month, check out www.capitalcichlids.org if you're interested. Great place to mix and mingle with other fish folks and find used tanks/equipment and fish (not just cichlids either) often bred/raised locally at great prices.

Exotic aquatics? That is the LFS I use. I am there at least twice a week

Wow small world. We were just there after work yesterday picking up some Ottos, our heater that broke, and some black worms. everyone there is helpful for the most part. Some days you go in there and theyre all arguing and fighting, and some arent very friendly, happy looking campers. But other days they are happy, smiling and helpful.

House of tropical is awesome, tom's is good too, but their staff are mostly kids that don't know or care about the fish/reptiles they sell. There is an older black guy with fuzzy grey hair at house of tropicals I think his name is Greg, he is the best. He used to have a FS in Baltimore city that I went to as a kid, really knowledgeable.

I agree about Toms. We have gotten two of our tanks from there. One or two of the ladies we like (wish I could remember their names) We still get some fish from there but now for the most part we use Exotics for most things

toddnbecka said:
Any of you other MD peeps cichlid lovers? The CCA meets af JFK High School every month, check out www.capitalcichlids.org if you're interested. Great place to mix and mingle with other fish folks and find used tanks/equipment and fish (not just cichlids either) often bred/raised locally at great prices.

+1 thanks for reminding me, I keep hearing about it and always forget to sign up.

I just wanna go to one of their larger auctions. I know they had one in my home town(laurel) a couple years ago.

toddnbecka said:

I'll have to check that out. I am about to start my first cichlid tank

Hi I live in perry hall. I've just started aquaria and have been going to toms Tropicals a lot. I agree the staff can be hit or miss. Try to go between 10 am and 3 pm during the wk when the teenage staff is in school. There are a couple of middle age ladies (one is toms sister )and even Tom himself that can be helpful. The store is cramped and it smells but the fish and plants are great. The hardware and accessories are overpriced by a few buck but I do try to support this lfs as much as I can

Yeah when we first started going to Toms we wanted to support them because theyve been around for along time . We do like going there for certain fish, like all of our platies because they have a ton of variety and we have always had good luck with them. and 2 of our tank set ups we bought from there. Our 29 gallon+stand and our 75 gallon and stand. Never really had any issues with them.
We will go to Exotic Aquatics for other things like heaters, live food, and live plants. Some fish as well. They are getting ready to move locations actually which is a shame. they arent sure where they are moving to yet, but they are trying to stay local.

I'm glad your Platys from toms did well. I have 7 of them and a Molly They are thriving. (I've had an aquarium for less than a month)

The few plants I got from them were well priced and doing well. I like their low tech approach. They just use gravel and low end fluorescent lights . They don't do any fertilizer or co2. Just all natural fish poo

Yeah Ive never used ferts for any of my plants. They've always done well. Well, this really pretty half purple plant(dont ask the same cause I haven't a clue, lol) I bought from Toms ( I loved it so much) pretty much died because my bala sharks like to vacuum the bottom of my tank and pretty much tore that one up from the gravel. so it didnt make it. But my other ones work out fine.

So we were at exotic aquatics last night, and they informed us that they are closing at the end of the week. Everything in the store is half off, its half empty. Its such a shame! They have been saying they are moving just wasnt sure where yet. Well now they have no place to move to, and they dont know where or when they can reopen

Wow, that sucks. I really like that place. There isn't another lfs in the area with their selection. Guess I am going to have to trek all the way to HoT. Toms is ok in a pinch but they just don't have the selection or knowledge.

With everything half off I'll have to go see what I can get tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom