New Panda Cory's won't come out of the cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought two tiny panda corys yesterday for my 30 gallon. This tank has 5 albino tiger barbs and 3 serpae tetras. I acclimated the corys by letting the bag float in my tank for about 20 minutes and then I poured a bit of the tank water in the bag. Let it float for another 15 min and a bit more tank water in the bag. Did that once more and then released them into the tank. They were doing fine yesterday. I fed all the fish and both of the corys were exploring the tank and looking for food in the substrate.

Today I woke up and went to check on them. Didn't see them out and about, so I looked in the cave and they are both just sitting there. I didn't turn the lights on in the aquarium, but I turned the lights on in the room. I fed the fish again, but the corys still just sit in the cave and are not coming out. It has been over an hour now since I turned the room lights on and fed the other fish in this tank. Still no movement from the corys. I pointed a dim flashlight at them and they did move a bit...so they are definitely alive.

This tank has been running for years. The water parameters are fine and I just did a 40% water change 3 days ago. No ammonia, no nitrates, pH is at around 7.6 - 7.8. The temp. is a little high...it got warm in So Cal all of a sudden and my temp went from 78 to 81 degrees. Can that be the problem? I turned the heater down a notch so hopefully it will drop down to 78 by the end of the day.

Any ideas? Are they just shy because there is only two of them? Possibly not doing well do to the high temperature?

Thanks all.

You should atleast have 5 cories in a group. They will be way more active in groups. They are also new, give them time to venture out into their new surroundings. The tigar barbs are probably chasing the cories as well.

Yea...if these two survive and turn out to be just shy, I will definitely buy some more...these tiny things are sweet lol.

Cories really like to be in bigger groups. Six is a good number. They are much more playful and outgoing when they have more friends. I have a dozen and they're all over my 20L. They do hide under rocks or driftwood to rest, but they're out most of the time.

I wouldn't worry about the temperature. Mine do fine in 78 degrees. I think they do better in slightly cooler water, but they'll be fine in 80 degrees.

Yeah I would try to up their numbers, you have a 30g with only 8 medium bodied fish in it. You could get away with a school of 6-8 and I bet they would be very active. But yeah, give them some time and I'm sure they will start to explore their new tank. How is the tank as far as plants/decor? Plenty of hiding spaces? Thinking maybe they don't feel secure but only time will tell.

The tank has a bunch of fake plants, a big cave...no driftwood yet...I also have one of those plants that covers the entire back end of the aquarium and creates a little space between the plant and the back panel of the aquarium. My tetras sleep behind that plant.

Thanks for all the replies. I sure hope to see them come out some today.

Pick up a few more, they are hardy and will thrive in almost any tank. I love my little cories! Although, they are mad at me because I have planted alot of plants and they cant play in the sand as much lol

They finally came out to search for food :D

haha so tiny!!! but with such big appetite.

hey it might take them awhile because there is only two of them just give it some time they should become more active

Theyre still in shock as well. A lot of the time new fish will go right into the nearest hiding place and sit...and sit...and sit. My firemouth sat for a week without me seeing him and finally i got worried and while doing some tank maint. disturbed his area and he finally came out and about. A lot of the time fish get shocked by the new area, water params and temp so they will hang out to let it all set in. Give it time theyll come out

Back
Top Bottom