New Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tallpaul003

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I added 6x Boesemani Rainbows (4x f, 2x m) to join the older one.

Stocks now at:-
1x peppered Cory,
1x blue spotted Cory,
1x bristlenose pleco (hiding as always),
1x angel,
1x rummy nose tetra,
7x cherry barbs (3x m, 4x f)

It's a Juwel Trigon 190 running a Betta 1620 external filter... best and quietest filter I've ever owned!!! Few plants, mixed black/gold sand substrate, driftwood and stones.

https://youtu.be/uDTQ85X3quw

Thoughts/comments/constructive criticism?!!

PS it's a squeaky chair, not my bones!!?

Rainbows are my absolutely favorite fish right now I have 7 but I inter mixed them 2 boseman, 2 irian red, 2 emerald, 1 turquoise they all school together contrary to what other people say and have criticized me for but I spent about 2 weeks calling places all over the US, emailing keepers that breed and only deal with rainbows , and calling and double checking to make sure they would be okay as they aren't exactly a cheap purchase and they are absolutely stunning to watch and look at, I love the bosemans but I needed some different colors in the tank so I decided to get some red and greens with the bosemans, I have no critique of your tank its amazing, your lil ones do the same thing as mine swim in and out of the current lol

Good job so far! I will say rainbows need long tanks to swim in, while yours is more of a cubeish tank. Cories and tetras need to be in a group of at least 6, but more like 10.

Well I just looked up the tank and 50 gallons for that many fish is a bit over stocked and abw is correct about they prefer a long tank with moderate current as they are active swimmers, at 50 gallons you won't be able to complete your school's of tetras and Cory's or you will be heavily over stocked I though the 190 meant 190 gallon not liters, still a nice tank though

Thanks for your kind words and advice guys. I hear what you're saying, I've always had rainbows since my 125 (27 gallon) but the pack had worked it's way down to 1x and they're great fish with so much personality so packed off some of his boring tankmates back to the LFS and got a few more... Hence the 1x remaining Rummy Nose who is the best escape artist I've ever seen and would challenge anyone to get him in a net !!! Whomever's video I saw of making a trap out of an old drinks bottle can claim responsibility for catching the others! He sticks with the cherry barbs though and hasn't shown any signs of distress or loneliness so he should be fine but I'll keep an eye on him.
The Corys numbers have faded over the years and these two school together and seem to be happy and active 24/7 so although they're lower than the recommended minimum, they're absolutely fine.
They all show off playing in the current from the spray bar at different times of the day (except the pleco, he tends to play with the X wing).
Am definitely not looking to add anymore as I'm happy with the balance; I appreciate what you're saying regarding overstocking but I'm on top of regular water changes and am more than impressed with the filter doing a fantastic job. If they do start showing any signs of not being happy then a rethink might be required- problem is I think I've caught MTS and rather than breaking down the community, I think another tank will be the only option ;)

I don't mean to be offensive, but if you are going to ignore our advice, then why ask in the first place? It is not just water changes that affects overstocking, it is also the space they need to swim and succeed. And how do you know if they are actually happy when it is scientifically proven they need to be in groups of at least 6? I am not trying to be mean, I just get confused when people ask for advice/criticism, but when they actually hear it they ignore it.

Don't worry, no offence taken !
I'm not ignoring your advice ABW, I did iterate I had taken it on board- the Rainbows are also juvenile which I've taken into account and I mentioned plans of getting another tank already.
No fish are showing signs of distress, all are colourful, eating, swimming and playing. It's a healthy, colourful, active community tank under the watchful eye of an open minded, experienced hobbyist. It might not be "ideal" conditions but not a lot in this world is ever 100% ideal!!! Overstocking was in the back of my mind which is now moreso in the forefront thanks to your opinions so nothing is being ignored and I've taken on board what you've said ;)
To be clear, I'm not being defensive, nor trying to convince you anyone's wrong or right, nor ignore your advice, I'm just enjoying the discussion and hearing different views.

Don't worry, no offence taken !
I'm not ignoring your advice ABW, I did iterate I had taken it on board- the Rainbows are also juvenile which I've taken into account and I mentioned plans of getting another tank already.
No fish are showing signs of distress, all are colourful, eating, swimming and playing. It's a healthy, colourful, active community tank under the watchful eye of an open minded, experienced hobbyist. It might not be "ideal" conditions but not a lot in this world is ever 100% ideal!!! Overstocking was in the back of my mind which is now moreso in the forefront thanks to your opinions so nothing is being ignored and I've taken on board what you've said ;)
To be clear, I'm not being defensive, nor trying to convince you anyone's wrong or right, nor ignore your advice, I'm just enjoying the discussion and hearing different views.
Very well said. Although a very friendly, welcoming and helpful community here it's very frustrating to see a train wreck before you and the OP refuses to take offered advice. That being said tallpaul I think you have your situation well in hand, but I have also been frustrated lately like abw. So forgive us for being blunt on occasion, we really do care and want to help.

Ha ha 100% agree man- I've seen the ones in a predicament, absolute beginners asking for advice and then completely ignoring it or arguing with the helpful experienced guy who's replied and is just trying to help !!!

Mine is far from a trainwreck (IMHO) and I know it isn't "perfect", much like life !!!

No forgiveness needed as you've all been polite and helpful to me which, at the end of the day, is kinda the point and I'm grateful for it ;)

Oops... Hit send before done, drinking [emoji481] and watching the WORLD CHAMPION CUBBIES!

Enjoy it she will grow up fast... My youngest is nine going on nineteen and gonna be an aunt in September. Lol..... #$@? I'm getting old!

Ha ha, I hear what you're saying... Thankfully she's just my goddaughter so I can fill her full of sweets and give her back!!!

I'm somewhat still new only been fish keeping 5 years the other 2 aren't considered fish keeping cause I had no idea what I was doing and all my fish kept dying, I can honestly say I have gotten some bad advice on here when I first joined as some members post responses when they actually don't know what they are doing either but I've gotten more good advice than bad, like here's an example I had high nitrates constantly for 2 years i did everything everyone said and nothing worked they were all baffled till I had one member tell me it was my substrate, I kinda didn't believe them but I didn't question him cause his post was very in depth of as why he said it, I changed the substrate from a really thick pebble stone to really fine gravel almost like sand just bigger and boom I went from 80 ppm nitrate to 25-40 (would be less but I dose ferts and I have a heavily stocked 55 gallon, upgrading to a 90 in July when my Lfs runs 40%-50% off sale but here's the thing I need a long and no place for a 125 and honestly don't know if my floor will hold the weight, longs usually only come in 125 but there are custom places that do have 75/90 longs but I can't get a discount and I'm far from rich lol, here's the thing I had people tell me I needed 6 bosemans 6 turquoise 6 of each species but that was incorrect, but yes you will need to upgrade to a 75/90 gallon so that you can school the fish you have with the Cory's, tetras etc etc but until then just stay on top of your water changes and you should be okay until you can upgrade, remember though when you do upgrade use your substrate that's in the 190 you have and the filter on that tank and half of the water in that tank so you don't cycle and the new tank is around the same water parameters as the 190 liter but would still acclimate them to be safe as a pH spike or drop will kill them

Hey Rick
Exactly mate- none of us are perfect and we'll all make the odd mistake, but sometimes it's nice to learn from other peoples mistakes !!! It's not intentional, it's part of learning sometimes- I feel responsible for those little fishy lives and we do what we can to give them the best environment.
I had a whole day of fun moving the fish (and everything else from the tank inc the water) from the 125 to the 190- made harder as it was going in the space but no fish died, no peaks, no mini cycles, more stress on me than the fish I think !!!

Hey Rick
Exactly mate- none of us are perfect and we'll all make the odd mistake, but sometimes it's nice to learn from other peoples mistakes !!! It's not intentional, it's part of learning sometimes- I feel responsible for those little fishy lives and we do what we can to give them the best environment.
I had a whole day of fun moving the fish (and everything else from the tank inc the water) from the 125 to the 190- made harder as it was going in the space but no fish died, no peaks, no mini cycles, more stress on me than the fish I think !!!
Thought they were in the 190 already, even so just check parameters daily to check for spikes it might mini cycle but nothing like a new tank starting up, if you see spikes just do 20% partial water changes tested with prime.

Back
Top Bottom