New reef JBJ CF nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! That website was awesome! I read all of it and wonder if my mystery coral could be a pineapple coral. Also, how do you target feed when you have shrimps that keep stealing the food?

AquaTricia said:
Wow! That website was awesome! I read all of it and wonder if my mystery coral could be a pineapple coral. Also, how do you target feed when you have shrimps that keep stealing the food?

Feed the shrimps first, lol, it helps. Usually i give them a squirt before any coral to keep them at bay for a bit.

Yeah, you guys have told me this before, but I read over the whole thread again, and y'all must have been saying "you've got to be kidding, how stupid can one dame be?". And yes, I'm from the south, so I can get away with " y'all"!

AquaTricia said:
Yeah, you guys have told me this before, but I read over the whole thread again, and y'all must have been saying "you've got to be kidding, how stupid can one dame be?". And yes, I'm from the south, so I can get away with " y'all"!

Nah, at least i dont think that and im sure most dont either. We all started this hobby as beginners and we all have asked some pretty down right crazy and hilarious questions but if you dont ask your gonna stay a beginner for a long time.

We all have questions and we all have answers, its the exchange of these 2 that keep these forum going, without questions this forum would be a pretty lame advice forum.

i really appreciate you guys. you work hard to answer all these questions day in and day out. i know it must be a hard job telling hundreds of people the same exact thing.
well, as usual, i have another question. i have a white starfish the size of a dime that came in on live rock. my grand daughter is in love with it, but i read somewhere that starfish are a no-no with corals, of course, as they grow bigger. and, in case you say the same thing that Grizz said about my hermit, "lose the hermit", how do i go about doing that, humanely, i mean? i never just flush.

The star is probably just a brittle star which is fine. Good part of a cuc but if you see them begin breeding then its signs of overfeeding much like bristle worms.

Could be an Asterina star as well, either way both are common hitchhikers and both beneficial. Also both will multiply in the tank. You will accumulate quite a few very quickly actually but ive never seen them become a problem. They only readily multiply based on how much your feeding basically as stated above.

The larger starfish that you are thinking of, uea many are not reef safe. There are a few but not many.

Ok. I was worried. Like somebody said, the books don't tell you everything. If they start covering the tank, do I have to "lose them" too? I still don't know what to do. And I am afraid of over feeding. I started only broadcast feeding once a day, then I will begin every other. But my fish are juvies, so I give them flakes every day. Also, I don't remember if I previously asked, but do I broadcast feed with the lights on or off. I feed the shrimp pellets every other night.

Time of feeding will depend on the fish and when they are most active but for the most part feeding during the day is best

AquaTricia said:
Ok. I was worried. Like somebody said, the books don't tell you everything. If they start covering the tank, do I have to "lose them" too? I still don't know what to do. And I am afraid of over feeding. I started only broadcast feeding once a day, then I will begin every other. But my fish are juvies, so I give them flakes every day. Also, I don't remember if I previously asked, but do I broadcast feed with the lights on or off. I feed the shrimp pellets every other night.

Ive never really seen them overrun a tank, it would be very hard to do so dont worry.

Also what are you broadcast feeding?

I have Mysis shrimp, enriched brine shrimp, and Cyclop-eeze. Oh, I also have Daphnia, but I don't use it much in the reef tank. I give that to my FW tanks.

Lfs will not take him back. I don't like this lfs, even though it's the closest SW to me. No warranties, no returns. Use them only in emergencies when I can't get across town for what I need. So, now what do I do? I don't know anyone with a SW tank.

Just keep on eye on him he may have just been picking stuff off the coral frag My hermits like to search every thing i place in my tank even my hands

AquaTricia said:
Ok. I'll watch. Thank you.

Hermits are usually fine with corals. Many times it will appear they are picking at them but most often they are picking in between polyps or something thats on them.

Hermits are usually fine with corals. Many times it will appear they are picking at them but most often they are picking in between polyps or something thats on them.

My shrimps are that way. Came home to a missing green star polyp. Had my husband turn on the lights and the hermit was where the polyp should be. I found it on the rubble at the bottom of the tank. It had been thoroughly glued down and was even growing. For tonight, I scraped off the glue and wedged in between two rocks. I also noted that one of a pair of purple ricordea attached to rock rubble from the Los is shriveling up, but the other looks fine. The only difference between the two is, on the side of the rubble, under the shriveled ricordea is something growing out of the side that I said looked like the business end of a round corn broom. A couple of days ago it was about 1/4 inch and now it's about 1/2 inch. Could this have anything to do with it. BTW, the hermit crawled away to a different rock. He might not have had anything to do with the star polyp, but I just don't like him!

Back
Top Bottom