New reef JBJ CF nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AquaTricia said:
My shrimps are that way. Came home to a missing green star polyp. Had my husband turn on the lights and the hermit was where the polyp should be. I found it on the rubble at the bottom of the tank. It had been thoroughly glued down and was even growing. For tonight, I scraped off the glue and wedged in between two rocks. I also noted that one of a pair of purple ricordea attached to rock rubble from the Los is shriveling up, but the other looks fine. The only difference between the two is, on the side of the rubble, under the shriveled ricordea is something growing out of the side that I said looked like the business end of a round corn broom. A couple of days ago it was about 1/4 inch and now it's about 1/2 inch. Could this have anything to do with it. BTW, the hermit crawled away to a different rock. He might not have had anything to do with the star polyp, but I just don't like him!

The broom thing u describe sounds like maybe it could be aiptasia which will sting corals and irritate the, even kill them.

Im guess your polyp just came unglued, its really not uncommon especially with soft corals. As they expand and contract the glue gives way and the go floating off. Not saying this what happened but it would be my guess.

I have had tons of red and blue leg hermits over the years, ive never seen one physically eating a coral, however i have seen many crawl on corals feed on algae growing on corals, bits of food in between polyps etc. generally the biggest thing with hermits is their willingness to attack and kill snails for their shell. If its a big hermit like golfball size then you will easily be able to tell of ita eating your coral. That polyp would have disappeared instead of being spotted floating around the tank.

Yeah, I was worried when I saw it that it could be Aptasia. I thought more so when I got home tonight and saw a shriveled ricordea that was fine last night. I didn't think I needed to be so concerned for a few more days or a week or two until it could be positively identified. What do I need to do at this point, and is my ricordea past helping? I read that I can inject lemon juice into the hole it comes out of in the rock. Since it's sitting on it's own little island of rubble, could I just break the "island" in half if I've lost that ricordea, so I can save the other?
The hermit is not as big as a golf ball, not quite half that size, but it has black/brown legs and looks like a spider, and you know how women HATE spiders! And I'm sure your diagnosis of how the star polyp found it's way to the substrate is correct, as it makes sense. I will try to find a rock to gently wedge it into, if I haven't killed it by, once again, manhandling it to get the glue off.

AquaTricia said:
Yeah, I was worried when I saw it that it could be Aptasia. I thought more so when I got home tonight and saw a shriveled ricordea that was fine last night. I didn't think I needed to be so concerned for a few more days or a week or two until it could be positively identified. What do I need to do at this point, and is my ricordea past helping? I read that I can inject lemon juice into the hole it comes out of in the rock. Since it's sitting on it's own little island of rubble, could I just break the "island" in half if I've lost that ricordea, so I can save the other?
The hermit is not as big as a golf ball, not quite half that size, but it has black/brown legs and looks like a spider, and you know how women HATE spiders! And I'm sure your diagnosis of how the star polyp found it's way to the substrate is correct, as it makes sense. I will try to find a rock to gently wedge it into, if I haven't killed it by, once again, manhandling it to get the glue off.

Ricordia is not lost, probably just really irritated. Many ways of dealing with aiptasia, lemon juice, boiling water, kalk past, peppermint shrimp, aiptasia-X, copperband butterfly etc.

I would suggest if using lemon juice to inject it into the stem of the aiptasia. This can be hard to do so personally i recommend aiptasia-x. Reef safe, ive even squirted corals with it and no ill effects. Has killed hundreds of aiptasia for me.

As for the hermit, with black and brown legs it probably is not a reef safe hermit. There are really only a couple that i would consider reef safe. Got a pic? Still i don't believe he had anything to do with the star polyp or it would most likely be gone.

ok. since i only have one aptasia, maybe the lemon juice would be better (i've got to get a needle), unless you think buying Aptasia-X would be better. i know those things can spread like crazy and the lemon juice has to be done one way only. of course, it will be a few days before i can get it, because we've got a hurricane headed this general direction, and due to the rain, they are asking us to stay off the streets. will that delay matter?
lights on is in 15 minutes. if the hermit is in a position to have a pic done, i'll send it right away. he just has to cooperate this once.

the hermit is all the way inside his shell, so i can't get a pic. i will watch im until i leave the house to go to my parent's and if he comes out, you'll get a pic. i'm going to get one of the possible aptasia, too.

Schism: here are the best pics i could get of the hermit. i am also sending a couple of pics of the possible aptasia and my poor ricordea. would you please try to ID the 3 headed coral i sent a pic of? thanks.

Attachments

• P1000924.JPG
    P1000924.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 63
  • P1000925.JPG
    P1000925.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 68
  • P1000926.JPG
    P1000926.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 74
  • P1000927.JPG
    P1000927.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 71
Your course of action for the aiptasia should be work fine. If not you can try another method.

Also just curious, wondering if you have prepared your tank for the event of a prolonged power outage since you have a hurricane on the way. Some battery operated air pumps could save your live stock in that situation, or better yet a generator to power all essential items. Just wondering if you have planned for this. Good luck with the storm.

Thanks. I have a small battery operated generator that will run the pumps and power head, a portable tv and a light. It will last 24 hours, no more, with that load. This storm is going to pass us, so, other than rain, I will not be able to get to the lfs until the rain stops. I will get the battery operated pumps then for the next storm, and there will be more.
What did you think of the hermit crab or do you need a closer pic?
Also, could you ID the coral?

AquaTricia said:
Thanks. I have a small battery operated generator that will run the pumps and power head, a portable tv and a light. It will last 24 hours, no more, with that load. This storm is going to pass us, so, other than rain, I will not be able to get to the lfs until the rain stops. I will get the battery operated pumps then for the next storm, and there will be more.
What did you think of the hermit crab or do you need a closer pic?
Also, could you ID the coral?

Good deal with the generator.

Im not sure about the hermit. I would keep an eye on him until someone can ID him.

Coral looks to be Ricordia's.

The coral you tentatively IDed as ricordeas is not a soft coral from what I can determine. The part stuck in the sand is not rock, it is hard "stem" so to speak. It was fragged while I was watching, but I do not think it is a candy cane. There were several polyps on the stalk and they sold me three.
I found the hermit where the star polyp was supposed to be again. It was on the sand in a cave. Could have blown there, but what a coincidence.

This coral has separate walls, each polyp has it's own. I will check all the common names the website listed, and see if any of them looks right. Bthanks. I love LA.

Could anybody ID the hermit? I realize the pic is not the best....
And what causes tiny bubbles on surfaces in the tank? A couple will float up every few seconds. I cleaned the tank Monday and vacuumed the sump, they've been there since then. What could have caused them and will they hurt my critters?

Back
Top Bottom