New tank ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kopitar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey

I started out a saltwater tank 3 weeks ago with 50lbs dry rock + 10lbs live rock in a 77 gallon

Started cycle with a raw shrimp and few days later started the green algae + brown so anyways 2 days ago my readings were
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

I waited an extra day and went to LFS to purchase CUC nothing big for now just 4 hermits and around 10 snails put them in yesterday none died but today took readings again and ammonia is 0.25 the rest at 0

Is it normal ammonia went up after adding CUC ?
Also is it ok if i left the raw shrimp in there to decompose or should i remove it ?

Thanks

It sometimes takes a few hours to get a response in the mornings cause people are at work. I am no expert at this version of cycling but I would think that you should probably take it out?

From what I've read you want to remove the shrimp since your using it as your source of ammonia. So when you had a new source ie your cuc that you need to feed you have a new source of ammonia. I am still new but that is the impression I am under

I'm thinking you may have had too small a shrimp for a 77 gal tank. After the cycle, your nitrates should be higher than 5 ppm. If so, be very careful adding more cuc. They don't add much to the bio load, but I would leave the shrimp in if only to keep the cycle going.

I would add another shrimp or two. It doesnt matter if theyll be decaying. Itll help speed the cycle. Since youre collecting some nitrate, your cycle is coming along but your BB need to be fed more in order to be effective.

Sorry i guess my post wasnt clear my bad lol

What i meant was ... I was done cycling the tank the ammonia went up then back down to 0
and after 2 days in a row @ ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate between 0 and 5 i decided to add CUC

And then the very next day ammonia went up to 0.25 ?
Is adding the CUC supose to bring up ammonia ?

Sorry but I did understand your question, I guess my answer was less than detailed.
After a proper cycle you should have more that just 5 ppm nitrate. That means you didn't cycle enough ammonia to build a strong enough BB colony.
Adding only a small cuc should not cause a mini cycle. Another sign you don't have enough BB.
Now I think you have 2 options. Remove the cuc to a QT and recycle the tank with a larger ammonia source so you increase the colonies of BB that are starting to establish themselves. It should be quicker as the 2 types if BB are already present.
Or if your amm go down to 0 right away, you could consider adding 1 fish and keeping a close eye on amm again. Slowly building up the population. But if the amm starts to go up you might need to QT it and do the first option anyhow. Your choice. Good luck

Ok thanks alot for the help ill keep an eye on paramaters next few days... None of them died yet good sign so far :)

Checked water again today ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.25 and nitrate between 0 and 5... No clue whats going on water is super cloudy and none of CUC died but seems like another mini cycle starting :(

Kopitar said:
Checked water again today ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0.25 and nitrate between 0 and 5... No clue whats going on water is super cloudy and none of CUC died but seems like another mini cycle starting :(

It seems that your tank did not go through a good cycle since there isnt enough BB to convert ammonia/nitrites over. As mentioned above, you should probably remove the cuc and add a stronger ammonia source. The CUC gives off very little bioload.

Yesterday I decided to go with option B at the risk of losing my small CUC and added a yellow tail damsel to hopefuly help with the bio load.
Today took readings again:
Ammonia between 0 and 0.25
Nitrite droped to 0
Nitrate between 0 and 5

Tank is still very cloudy even if skimmer is running 24/7 and none of CUC died.
Is the cloud and dirt on glass diatoms ?
Hopefuly the damsel solves my cycle

I wouldnt have done that. You started out right, just stopped too soon and not enough ammonia source IMHO. The fish will now be basically living in a cesspool while the tank finishes its cycle. That is very stressful for them and often you end up losing the fish. Also, if it survives, damsels get fairly aggressive as they age. Depending on what you plan to put into the tank it could cause issues later.

Just my 2 cents worth, not hating or anything.

Years ago, people (at least the ones I knew) did the damsel cycle method. No Internet, no advice to go off beyond the LFS and that was what they all told you to do. Damsels are tough and will likely survive. Sitting through the cycle certainly does them no good, but it should accomplish the end goal. The bummer is gonna be catching the little bugger when you want it out.

Yeah i messed up :( but since i has no QT and didnt feel like bringing back whole CUC to lfs i took the easy way out i guess... Just hoping CUC survives so far none died... How long does a small demsel take to fully cycle a 77 gallon ?

Also hoping that he wont be super agressiv and that i can actually keep him in later on.. Only time will tell but lfs said yellow tail least agressiv demsel out there

Back
Top Bottom