New tank cycling with prawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

My new tank setup is running for two days now. I am going to cycle with the prawn method. If I put the prawn in today should I just leave it until I return from a long trip to Canada.??I return bank hol weekend. That's just about three weeks. On my return I want to test the water and if okay put a small shoal of fish in to start the stocking. Any views will be appreciated.

Arper.

I believe it should be fine. Just put it in let it break down and test your rank when you get home.

If you have a filter media bag (or panty hose), put it in there. It will make retrieval and cleanup a lot easier.

How long will you be gone? Leaving it in there unattended I would think would be extremely foul & make your ammonia & possibly nitrites go through the roof which can cause cycle issues. If its just a few days I'd say go for it but if its for a couple weeks I'd wait.

I wonder if I remove the prawn before I leave next weekend the tank will settle by the time I return?? (14days) I can then test the water to see what I need to do next. Your thoughts appreciated.

So I've returned from holiday and retested my tank water. Ph 8, gh 214, kh 143, a 8ppm, no2 5ppm & no3 5ppm. The tank has cycled for just over three weeks. What should I do next? Can I add some fish??

So I've returned from holiday and retested my tank water. Ph 8, gh 214, kh 143, a 8ppm, no2 5ppm & no3 5ppm. The tank has cycled for just over three weeks. What should I do next? Can I add some fish??

With the high ammonia and nitrite and low nitrate, it would appear that the cycle has started but is not complete. Not ready for fish. You way want to perform a PWC to reduce the nitrites; sometimes high nitrites can stall a cycle.

Thanks, how much water should I change

I've retested after 50% pwc. Numbers for ammonia is 4ppm, nitrite 5ppm and nitrates 20ppm. I repeated this test today with the same numbers. Has the cycle stalled?? what is the best action to take??

I've retested after 50% pwc. Numbers for ammonia is 4ppm, nitrite 5ppm and nitrates 20ppm. I repeated this test today with the same numbers. Has the cycle stalled?? what is the best action to take??

It appears to have slowed down but since the nitrites and nitrates have gone up after the PWC it is still cycling. A few questions:

1. Is the shrimp still in the tank?
2. What is the temp?
3. Any additional aeration?
4. Size of tank and filter(s) you are using?

My dad removed the shrimp 10 days ago. I have a 24l tank with a sponge/carbon filter that is rated for a larger tank. This also provides aeration by the returned water. Temp is set to 27c.

Just tested the water- ammonia is at 0.25 nitrite at 5 and nitrate at 20. Something is obviously happening. Should I pwc 50% and test tomorrow?? Thanks for the advice so far. Been a great help:)

Just tested the water- ammonia is at 0.25 nitrite at 5 and nitrate at 20. Something is obviously happening. Should I pwc 50% and test tomorrow?? Thanks for the advice so far. Been a great help:)

No prob. That's what this site is here for.

I am on the fence regarding another PWC. Maybe best to do nothing and test tomorrow. I am hoping the the ammonia will read 0-.25, nitrite <5, and nitrate >20. Problem is the ammonia source will be nearly depleted. At which you could add a shrimp carcass or portion of it (placed in a mesh bag for easy removal) to boost the ammonia. Fish food can also be used but can get messy.

Well I did some reading up yesterday and have increased ammonia to 4ppm with pure ammonia from hardware store (9.5%). I checked with manufacturing company for exact make up of the product so no fragrance or surfactants are present.
Nitrite over night had stayed at 5ppm and nitrates stayed at 20ppm. I really want to put fish in this Saturday but fish welfare is paramount to me. Should I do anything to speed things up or,frustratingly, hurry up and wait!?:)

Could anyone tell me - what do they feel is the best filter for a 100l tank? I'm looking for silent running as my filter that squirts jets bak into the tank does make an intrusive noise. Many thanks for your thoughts.

Could anyone tell me - what do they feel is the best filter for a 100l tank? I'm looking for silent running as my filter that squirts jets bak into the tank does make an intrusive noise. Many thanks for your thoughts.

I am partial to Fluval AquaClear (AC) series of HOB filters. For that size the AC70 or possibly the AC50 should work.
As for your current filter, you could possibly try raising the water level (or lowering the jets) to reduce the splash and noise. Or improvise something with an empty filter cartridge or floss to dampen the noise.

Back
Top Bottom