New tank for a child

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I am setting up a tank for my daughter (3 years old). It's 20 gallons and I need advice on what fish/snails/shrimp will be good. I do not really trust the pet shop employees since they just want to sell the most expensive options and probably do not know much at all. I am no expert in aquariums to say the least. I was hoping to find some colorful and hearty things for her tank.

Thanks

For a twenty gallon I'd recomend a school of Neon tetras (about ten) and four or five cory catfish. Or you can get livebearers like platties or guppies since those are fairly easy to care for. Look for fish that stay under 4 inches that you like and we can tell you If they would work. Good luck! :)

Quick question, is it a twenty gallon long or tall?

I am doing my research on cycling it seems that the best way is fish less but the local aquarium store advised me to do a fish in. So I'm not really sure what to do. I know it will drive my daughter nuts looking at an empty tank but I should do what's best in the long run.

In order to have the fish survive during a fish in cycle, it takes more work (water changes) from you. It is definitely harder on the fish and you're more likely to lose fish that way as well.

Mtl said:
I am doing my research on cycling it seems that the best way is fish less but the local aquarium store advised me to do a fish in. So I'm not really sure what to do. I know it will drive my daughter nuts looking at an empty tank but I should do what's best in the long run.

Do a fishless cycle, if you make a mistake no harm done to any fish. It is so much easier and no sick ot dead fish. Good things come to those who wait! :)

Fish in or fishless gets the same result in the end. Just because a fish in cycle involves fish doesn't mean they are exposed to harmful amounts of ammonia. The key is to only have a small number of fish in the beginning. Less fish = less ammonia = longer to build up to toxic levels = less water changes. Don't let the fishless cycle scare you out of fish in cycling. Pick what will work best for you, your tank and situation.
(btw, I've fish in cycled 10 tanks without any fish coming to harm :))

Mumma.of.two said:
Fish in or fishless gets the same result in the end. Just because a fish in cycle involves fish doesn't mean they are exposed to harmful amounts of ammonia. The key is to only have a small number of fish in the beginning. Less fish = less ammonia = longer to build up to toxic levels = less water changes. Don't let the fishless cycle scare you out of fish in cycling. Pick what will work best for you, your tank and situation.
(btw, I've fish in cycled 10 tanks without any fish coming to harm :))

Good point, but when a child is envolded sometimes things can get our of hand! What parent wants to say no to their child when they see all those fish and want them all right now!! Lol

Hi

I am setting up a tank for my daughter (3 years old). It's 20 gallons and I need advice on what fish/snails/shrimp will be good. I do not really trust the pet shop employees since they just want to sell the most expensive options and probably do not know much at all. I am no expert in aquariums to say the least. I was hoping to find some colorful and hearty things for her tank.

Thanks

You could get 10 neon tetras with 4 male guppies. This would make a colorful and active tank, ideal for a child. You could also get a mystery snail. When I had my snail it was more fun to watch than the fish in the tank! With the snail though, make sure you don't put in any aquarium salt. This helps the fish be less stressed but kills the snail. I didn't know that and that's how mine died:(.

You are smart for getting a second opinion on what the pet store guy told you. Once a fish salesman told me to get this huge assortment of fish and when I did research I found those types of fish would all kill each other in about an hour if put in the same tank.

I am not sure yet which method but for sure if I do choose to go fish in I will only start with a couple fish. At what point can shrimp or snails be added to the aquarium? My daughter really loves those

bud29 said:
You could get 10 neon tetras with 4 male guppies. This would make a colorful and active tank, ideal for a child. You could also get a mystery snail. When I had my snail it was more fun to watch than the fish in the tank! With the snail though, make sure you don't put in any aquarium salt. This helps the fish be less stressed but kills the snail. I didn't know that and that's how mine died:(.

You are smart for getting a second opinion on what the pet store guy told you. Once a fish salesman told me to get this huge assortment of fish and when I did research I found those types of fish would all kill each other in about an hour if put in the same tank.

Best bet is to go to your LFS and write down what you are interested in and then research and do more reseach!! You have to decide what fish you like and want! :)

Best bet is to go to your LFS and write down what you are interested in and then research and do more reseach!! You have to decide what fish you like and want! :)

That is true, but the asker wanted advice, and as for me, when I ask for suggestions and people say "whatever you want" it really annoys me because I actually wanted suggestions. That's what I would come on here to get.

As for when the snail can be added:
If you do a fishless cycle, you can stock your tank half of the fish at a time, (or I do a species at a time) and then you can add the snail to the tank with the group that has the least fish so then there isn't such a huge sudden uptick of the amount of waste in the aquarium.

bud29 said:
That is true, but the asker wanted advice, and as for me, when I ask for suggestions and people say "whatever you want" it really annoys me because I actually wanted suggestions. That's what I would come on here to get.

As for when the snail can be added:
If you do a fishless cycle, you can stock your tank half of the fish at a time, (or I do a species at a time) and then you can add the snail to the tank with the group that has the least fish so then there isn't such a huge sudden uptick of the amount of waste in the aquarium.

I hate to give advise for what livestock a person wants, a person should have some idea what they want beforehand and then research. I for one don't don't like guppies, swords, or platies ( nothing wrong with them but all to common what people say to buy.)
If a person doesn't know what they want why would I know what they want! lol

I hate to give advise for what livestock a person wants, a person should have some idea what they want beforehand and then research. I for one don't don't like guppies, swords, or platies ( nothing wrong with them but all to common what people say to buy.)
If a person doesn't know what they want why would I know what they want! lol

the asker wanted suggestions. I gave suggestions. Also, if you hate giving advice on what livestock people get, why are you posting on this thread?

bud29 said:
the asker wanted suggestions. I gave suggestions. Also, if you hate giving advice on what livestock people get, why are you posting on this thread?[/QUeOTE]

You are right! Lol

Mtl said:
I am not sure yet which method but for sure if I do choose to go fish in I will only start with a couple fish. At what point can shrimp or snails be added to the aquarium? My daughter really loves those

Inverts are more sensitive to poor water conditions than fish. It's best to add them after the tank is cycled and well established. A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia and nitrite and rising nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom