New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kio707

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have started a new saltwater tank about 2 weeks ago. It's a 90 gal tank with sump. I'm using live rock to get the nitrate cycle started, ph is 22. I'll be adding coral later. How long should I wait to add fish? To add coral? And what are the best fish and coral to start with? I have a 75 gal freshwater with african chiclids and wanted to try my luck with marine life. Tnx for the help.

Kio707 said:
I have started a new saltwater tank about 2 weeks ago. It's a 90 gal tank with sump. I'm using live rock to get the nitrate cycle started, ph is 22. I'll be adding coral later. How long should I wait to add fish? To add coral? And what are the best fish and coral to start with? I have a 75 gal freshwater with african chiclids and wanted to try my luck with marine life. Tnx for the help.

Ok. LR is ok to start your cycle with. I would recommend something with more ammonia like dead shrimp or bottle ammonia if you can find some that is pure ammonia. And pH is 22? I've never seen that before. If that is the case you should shoot for 8.0-8.2. Your tank needs to cycle so however long it takes to cycle is how long you should wait. Some good starter fish are royal gramma, clowns, damsels (very aggressive though. Not recommended) fire fish etc. I'm not to familiar with many starter corals but some others on here can help with that. :)

Sorry, meant hydro is reading .022. Was thinking of throwing in some frag leather coral and mushroom.

Kio707 said:
Sorry, meant hydro is reading .022. Was thinking of throwing in some frag leather coral and mushroom.

Hahaha yeah that makes slot more sense. Haha :) but like I said I'm not too familiar with corals yet but I have heard very good things about leathers and mushrooms. Liveaquatia.com is a very good reference to go to about fish and corals. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+2856
Go here. It helps a lot. :)

I wouldnt add any corals or livestock until you have finished cycling. :)

Then as far as fish add them slowly over a few weeks.

+1 I completely agree. Go slow. At first I was soo impatient but over the weeks ive learned to be patient. :) just 1 step atta time.

K, got it, one fish at a time. Any advice about lionfish? (dwarf)

Read it, maybe not what I wanna jump into right now lol... Got a 90 gallon tank, wanna have a nice mixture.

Kio707 said:
Read it, maybe not what I wanna jump into right now lol... Got a 90 gallon tank, wanna have a nice mixture.

Yeah. They are cool but need a lot. :/

Lionfish takes a commitment to have :) and what kind of lighting are you running on your tank? Thatll play a big part in what kind of corals you can keep

K, if I hope I get this right... Coral reef light, 2 10k white lights and 2 55 atinic night lights. it's on a timer for 16 hr day and 8 night. I can tell u all about my Keroki flame backs and red jewel chiclids, but very new to the salt life.. Lol... Tnx for the help.

Do you mean to have the lights on for 16 hrs? That would be overkill. :)

I keep mine at 12 max, I think I just got the timers back an hour recently, my corals still look good.

I keep cichlids too, African peacocks and haps. And yes, I have 2 mbuna in the tank as well. I know I shouldnt but they've all grown up together for the most part. :)

So keep the white on for twelve and the lower night light (looks more like a black light) on for 12?

I run my blues from 9am to 9pm and my whites from 10am to 8pm. If you have moonlighting you can run that as longs as you like after the lights go out. :)

My timers may not be the best settings, you can start there and adjust accordingly. I just use the average, I've got nothing too light demanding. :)

I just put in a mushroom and leather coral, so we shall see how it works out.

The coral didn't die over night, so that's a positive sign...lol.... Also, if I want more then 2 or 3 fish and don't wanna keep buying fish just to turn around and spend more money because my tank doesn't have what I want in it; what should I go with? Wife wants a clown fish, so that's a must. (happy wife, happy life :) ) Any suggestions? Plus they have to be reef friendly. I appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Kio707 said:
The coral didn't die over night, so that's a positive sign...lol.... Also, if I want more then 2 or 3 fish and don't wanna keep buying fish just to turn around and spend more money because my tank doesn't have what I want in it; what should I go with? Wife wants a clown fish, so that's a must. (happy wife, happy life :) ) Any suggestions? Plus they have to be reef friendly. I appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Note: once you add that clownfish, you can't add any other clownfish of a different species. It will also be hard to add another the the same species. TBH its all just about what you want. The main thing is to research over a fish before you buy it. What kind of fish are you looking for? Angelfish? Gobies? Tangs?

Back
Top Bottom