New tank, new fish owner, more new stupid questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adiliegro

Aquarium Advice Regular
As some of you may know, I just got my tank today and set it up. The heater that came with it (100 watt) doesnt look like its doing anything. The light is on, but I have it jacked up to heat it to like 89 degrees. If I turn it down to 72-75 the light never comes on like it isnt doing anything. Any thoughts on that?

Also, as I have only just put the water in this tank today for the first time and am letting it filter before I add any fish, I am noticing air bubbles all over the glass on on the plants, etc. Is this normal? AND, there is dust from the substrate I put in (black) all over the plants leaves. I washed the gravel with cold water for like 20 minutes before I put it in the tank and STILL there is dust...LOL. Anyway to get that off of there? It isnt murking up the water - yet - but I dont want it to either. Any suggestions/answers to these questions?

The heater might take a day or two to get the water up to temp - so just wait. Check it frequently, as the temp of the water might not necessarily be the temp you set the unit to - at least that is the case with me. I have to adjust it for a day or two to get it where I want it.

The dust will settle, that is normal - don't worry about it. Just brush the dust off the leaves.

Bubbles are also normal and will dissipate.

Tankgirl, your education was worth every penny, you know that? THANK YOU!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom