new tank ph levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skorpius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I'm still relatively new to forums and aquatics so please forgive my ignorance.
I have a newly set up 65 gallon tank(48x12.5x25), and I have a Ph level question for you all, ph level right out of tap is 7.2-7.4

I've been running my tank un-stocked (gravel/laterite, filters & heater only) for almost two weeks. After the first week of running it, I tested the water (ph 7.4). Yesterday I loaded it with plants (live/fake) some decorations & aquarium rock / rock caves, driftwood. My ph level is now up to 8.0-8.2, did this happen because of the items I put in?, will it drop back to the tap water ph level or is this what I can expect it to remain? I'm only asking so I know which fish this water will be ideal for because I may have to re-think my stocking plan, Thank you in advance for your help.
:thanks:

Tank Water Chemistry

Hello,
I'm still relatively new to forums and aquatics so please forgive my ignorance.
I have a newly set up 65 gallon tank(48x12.5x25), and I have a Ph level question for you all, ph level right out of tap is 7.2-7.4

I've been running my tank un-stocked (gravel/laterite, filters & heater only) for almost two weeks. After the first week of running it, I tested the water (ph 7.4). Yesterday I loaded it with plants (live/fake) some decorations & aquarium rock / rock caves, driftwood. My ph level is now up to 8.0-8.2, did this happen because of the items I put in?, will it drop back to the tap water ph level or is this what I can expect it to remain? I'm only asking so I know which fish this water will be ideal for because I may have to re-think my stocking plan, Thank you in advance for your help.
:thanks:

Hello skor...

Unless your goal is to keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to worry about the chemistry of your tap water. It's not important to the vast majority of fish from the local pet stores. They've been adapting to public water supplies since forever.

B

so what your saying is that it doesn't matter what my Ph level is? the fish will survive regardless?....thanks

Back
Top Bottom