New tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygirl87

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I have had 2 goldfish in a 48l tank for 4 years. They Passed away, one last year and one a month ago. I have nOw changed over to tropical fish. I got rid of all the water and a new filter as I had neglected the tank for a couple of months as my father Passed away and I was quite low for a while so I did not want to keep the dirty water.

So I have set up the tank doing a fish cycle. I got 2 guppies initially and added 3 more a week later (there was one dead fish in the pet shop shop tank and two looking poorly) I bought them anyway as I had my little girl with me who wanted them. One of the new fish died next day, I have done amonia and nitrate tests there is 0 amonia and and 0.25 nitrate. I have been doing regular partial water changes around 2-3 a week. I then got two more guppies and a pleco. One of the fish from the second batch has Passed on. Leaving just one from that batch who today seems to be gasping at the top and not coming down. All the other fish are fine and lively. But 2 out of 3 from that batch from the tank with dead and poorly fish has died and the remaining one lookIng I'll.

Is this just a bad batch or me? Please help!

Last edited:
I kept the gravel from old set up cleaned with vacuum syphon

Your tank is too small for a pleco, which is a huge waste producer. You'll have to rehome that fish, I'm afraid.

Guppies aren't a bad choice for that size tank, though.

Which test kit do you have?

Hi and welcome. I have to agree ^^^^ Your tank is too small to properly house a pleco of any kind. 48L is about 12.5 US gallons. Because you threw out your filter media you are most likely cycling. You will need to purchase a good liquid test kit (api is good) and make sure you have a good dechlorinator (I like prime). Daily water changes will be needed to keep your fish alive and healthy.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
Here is some info on fish in cycling for you to have a read through.

Thanks I may just get a bigger tank for Xmas as I do like my pleco. I will do extra maintenance o keep him healthy. I have dechlorinated all water that has gone in the tank. The test kits I have are liquid they are interpret! Are they good?

I will keep on with the regular water changes then. How much longer do you think it will take to fully cycle then. As it has now been 3 weeks with fish in tank. There is 0 amonia and 1 nitrate at the mo. what does this suggest. My ph is 7.5. Thanks

Guppygirl87 said:
Thanks I may just get a bigger tank for Xmas as I do like my pleco. I will do extra maintenance o keep him healthy. I have dechlorinated all water that has gone in the tank. The test kits I have are liquid they are interpret! Are they good?

I will keep on with the regular water changes then. How much longer do you think it will take to fully cycle then. As it has now been 3 weeks with fish in tank. There is 0 amonia and 1 nitrate at the mo. what does this suggest. My ph is 7.5. Thanks

It can take 4-8 weeks usually to cycle a tank. Maybe a little less if the BB are still alive in the substrate. Do you happen to know what kind of pleco you have? Some get 5-6 inches some get 2 feet!

Mumma.of.two said:
It can take 4-8 weeks usually to cycle a tank. Maybe a little less if the BB are still alive in the substrate. Do you happen to know what kind of pleco you have? Some get 5-6 inches some get 2 feet!

Thanks. No I don't I phone the pet shop after I got it home as I didn't know nothing about them unroll I got in. All they said is it's a south American one, so I looked them up and that's all the species so I don't think they know much themselves. They said it can get 5 inches or so and that it will be okay for a little while but I may need to upgrade tank or sell on. So I think I will get a new tank for Xmas. I have a pic of it in my albums, maybe someone can tell me what type it looks like. :)

Guppygirl87 said:
Thanks. No I don't I phone the pet shop after I got it home as I didn't know nothing about them unroll I got in. All they said is it's a south American one, so I looked them up and that's all the species so I don't think they know much themselves. They said it can get 5 inches or so and that it will be okay for a little while but I may need to upgrade tank or sell on. So I think I will get a new tank for Xmas. I have a pic of it in my albums, maybe someone can tell me what type it looks like. :)

Sorry I have predictive text it is meant to say until not unroll.

Guppygirl87 said:

I'm not good at pleco IDing at all sorry :( maybe if you start an ID thread with a pic and someone else will be able to help. One thing I have to say is you have to worry about stunting in a small tank. It's where the fishes outsides stop growing and the insides don't. Not very good for the fish. It can cause spine curvature and premature often painful death.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm not good at pleco IDing at all sorry :( maybe if you start an ID thread with a pic and someone else will be able to help. One thing I have to say is you have to worry about stunting in a small tank. It's where the fishes outsides stop growing and the insides don't. Not very good for the fish. It can cause spine curvature and premature often painful death.

Do you think that could happen in the next couple of months or will I be okay unroll then. At the mo he is only 2".

Guppygirl87 said:
Do you think that could happen in the next couple of months or will I be okay unroll then. At the mo he is only 2".

From what I've heard they grow relatively slow but I could be wrong. It should be right for 2 months. It depends what type you have as to what size tank you will need when upgrading.

If you really want to identify the type of pleco you have you could go to this website PlanetCatfish • Cat-eLog • All L-Numbers

It might take you a while but you can certainly narrow it down to within a couple of choices. I have close to a dozend pleco's in my tank. I used this website to look up the profile information on each of the ones that I have.

Oh by the way you could also try looking at the pleco's mouth, you are looking for teeth which means that it is a Panaque. Panaque's are identified by the teeth, which are spoon-shaped. These pleco's like chewing on wood, so if it is one of those species you might want to consider getting at least a small piece.

elcucuu said:
If you really want to identify the type of pleco you have you could go to this website PlanetCatfish • Cat-eLog • All L-Numbers

It might take you a while but you can certainly narrow it down to within a couple of choices. I have close to a dozend pleco's in my tank. I used this website to look up the profile information on each of the ones that I have.

Oh by the way you could also try looking at the pleco's mouth, you are looking for teeth which means that it is a Panaque. Panaque's are identified by the teeth, which are spoon-shaped. These pleco's like chewing on wood, so if it is one of those species you might want to consider getting at least a small piece.

Thank you I will have a look.

Back
Top Bottom