New tank to set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KateWantsAngels said:
Home depot.com says it is in stock so that's where I am going tomorrow!

Ya they always seem to have it lol. If your going with the play sand the bag looks nothing like the one online just so you know. When I bought it I was totally confused. The other link I posted I think it was Mogurako that said it washes out better and doesn't have as much fine particles in it. But I don't know about that. I'm sure he wouldn't recommend something that can't be used. Good luck ;)

I typically use pool filter sand as my inert substrate of choice for fish like angels, where I would not need to increase Ph/hardness (in that situation I would use aragonite sand or a mix of aragonite/pfs). It has larger and heavier grains than play sand and thus, doesn't get sucked into the filter. Caveat-- I live in the South and pool supply stores are a dime a dozen here. I'm guessing not so much in the Buffalo area! If you happen to run across pfs, it's very cheap compared to aquarium substrates. I pay about ten bucks for a fifty pound bag.

If it helps, I used 3x fifty pound bags to put about a 3 inch layer of sand into both my 120s. I'd shoot for 2 bags for a 75, so probably 1-2 bags for a 55 just depending on how deep you want the sand.

Last edited:
I'd start there and see how much it takes to get your substrate to where you want. Looking back on it, I might have used 4 bags for each 120 gal, but it might have been only 3.... lol, it has been a while.

I have another question for you guys. I have heard a few different opinions on adding air bubble things to tanks it increase air in water. Will I need this and if so how do I determine how many bubbles?

Claude Monet has many paintings that would do well as a background.

thumbnail.aspx

As for plants, broad leaf plants will give the fish a safe place to lay eggs, and they are found of floating plants too.

Back
Top Bottom