New Tank. Transferring Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabercat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10g and I got a new 12g. It came with a new filter, and I'm getting a new heater, substrate, and decorations. What is the least stressful way on the one fish to transfer it to the new tank.

If you can, try to move the filter media (mainly the biological media- ceramic rings, bio-balls, or sponges) into the new filter. If you move enough media, then it should allow the new tank to be cycled very quickly. You should be able to add your fish right away if you do this. Of course testing the parameters is the safest way (to make sure there are no problems), but it is probably not necessary.
As for the actual transfer, I would get the new tank filled up and completely set up/running, then catch the fish. If the water in the new tank is different (if it comes from a different water source) then you should probably acclimate it to the new tank (drip acclimation is the best way). If it's the same water, then you should be able to just move the fish right into the new tank. Try to make sure they're both near the same temperatures.

The new tank came with biological ceramic pieces. Should I throw them into my tank that the fish is coming from and do you suggest brand new water or try to take some water from my old tank and put it in new tank.

Probably just set up new tank then put all the water from the old tank in it. Then put the old filter on too to make sure no bacteria is lost. As the fish to leave them in the old tank until a little water is left then just net them in.

Ok, so you are saying act like your doing a water change and Add the extra 2-3 gallons of new water? And the filter is not the same. What should I do there. Sorry if I'm asking too much. I just don't want to screw this up. Haha

Ok! Great. It's a fluval edge which has quite a small filter chamber. Do I just throw old filter in tho the tank itself?

Do not worry man just try to keep a lot of the old decorations or plants too because they have beneficial bacteria on them also. Also mix the new and old gravel but all of the old just some so you preserve the beneficial bacteria. And don't worry man I'm glad to help I am just bored at home hahah.

Hmm then put the biological filtration from the old filter and put it in with the new one if you can.

Your welcome man. As for the filter situation I'd just do what I said before and then just put some gravel from the old tank in the biological part of the new filter.

No point in using old water- the bacteria that you want are in your filter. You could put your old filter's media into the new filter, or run both filters on the new tank if possible, like others suggested.

You don't have to use old water but it is better because temperature will be the same so fish won't stress much.

Might have to cut the filter open to get it, but yes it does. I think? I'm just scared becauseImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388470242.913023.jpg I have had this fish for the longest time and I don't want to die from the move.

Back
Top Bottom