new tank-trouble getting it to even start cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RG5384

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the 20 gallon tank i have 3 guppies, and a rasbora. Before that the tank had 3 rasboras and 1 other fish that i cannot remember the name of, however two of the rasboras died as did the other fish. In hindisght, i suspect my two rasbora's died because of bullying from this "other fish". I went back to the LFS and they told me that the guy who i had first purchased fish from there was more of a "saltwater guy" and that the "other fish"(man i wish i could remember the name) was NOT a beginner fish and tended to be quite agressive(well duh, noticed that one right away). My problem is, i cannot get the cycling process to even begin. The tank has been running for a total of about 2 weeks now, with no less than 4 fish in it. Nitrites read zero, Nitrates read Zero, Ammonia baaaaaarely has a reading on it at all. I have used two differant test kits, as well as taken water to the LFS to have them check it as well. Should i turn off one of my filters? Turn both filters down? Help please!
thanks
Ryan

Welcome to AA!

First of all what kind of test kits and do they have a date on them?
2nd do you have plants in the tank?
3rd Did you seed the tank with a used filter or used gravel or somthing of the sort?
4th are you using biological addittives like cycle or somthing of the sort?
also What is the reading of nitrates on the water you are putting in your tank?
Have you done any partial water changes and if so how much how often?
If you can answer these question we will be able to provide you bettter asistance.

-Mardel five in one test strips, as well as aquarium pharmaceuiticals saltwater master liquid test kit. date on the test strips is 08/2007, and the saltwater one i cannot find a date, but it is under 6 months old.
-no plants as of yet
-The tank was not seeded
-I used prime, stress coat, stress zyme
-The readings of the strait tapwater seem to be between 0-5ppm with regard to nitrates
-last partial water change i did was between 40-50% after my rasboras died, i had no readings at that time, either.
thanks!!
Ryan

Test strips are inaccurate, and a saltwater kit will not give you accurate readings for freshwater. It may be that your fish are just not producing much waste. But you will not know for certain until you can get a more accurate test kit.

Sorry about the initial bad luck. Hopefully, we can help you out here.

2 weeks old and your adding fish? It should of just been goldfish or guppies to cycle. It takes about 3-6 months to cycle a tank. Your filter should be running all the time, as the bacteria will establsih itself to the filter, which will cycle the water (that runs into the filter).

The salt water test is not going to work. Buy the fresh water kit. You are seeing some ammonia and you will be seeing a lot more. Buy the AP freshwater master kit. It is very inexpensive at bigalsonlne.com . You will need to change water whenever your ammoina goes over .5ml.

You could take your fish back and do a fishless cycle. No matter what you do. You need to get a good test kit. Otherwise you will never know where you are in the cycle or if you are done. A typical cycle takes 4 - 6 weeks.

anythingscales said:
2 weeks old and your adding *beep* should of just been goldfish or guppies to cycle. It takes about 3-6 months to cycle a tank. Your filter should be running all the time, as the bacteria will establsih itself to the filter, which will cycle the water (that runs into the filter).

Whoa!

It takes 3-6 weeks, not months, to cycle a tank...and the best way is technically a fishless cycle, using plain ammonia, or a raw cocktail shrimp. Cycling with fish is possible, but not 'easy' or 'carefree'...you have to do daily water tests, and daily water changes of 50% for several weeks as you combat spiking ammonia and nitrite levels.

Back
Top Bottom