new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
getting 40g breeder tank today. going to switch from a 60g hex..

do I take the fish out of 60g put them in a bucket, drain water, transfer over substrate then fill and add fish?

also should I run my fluval 305 or 406 on the tank (adjust flow as needed)

You should cycle the new tank first IMO. What is the gph on filters

do I take the fish out of 60g put them in a bucket, drain water, transfer over substrate then fill and add fish?

Save about 15 to 20% of the old water to add to the new tank as well.

Yes!
I did something slightly different though; I put the fish in tall bags from the LFS (I keep the bags when I buy fish) with their tank water and floated the bags in their tank, keeping them in the same temperature, meanwhile I syphoned the water into buckets until I was as ow as I could get while still keeping the bags partially in the water. I removed the substrate from one to the other. I moved as quickly as possible! Then I poured the tank water into the tank. Then I let the filter run (filter from the old tank) for just a bit to clear the water and had the heater running. Next I added the fish! Walla!
Make sure the tank light is off to eleviate stress ;) Leave it off till the next day. It's hard, but it'll be a day behind you in the end :D

Edit: Vacuum your gravel some too before the move. Just so your not transfering too much deitris!

Last edited:
ccross said:
If he is transferring EVERYTHING over to the new tank, he should be ok without cycling. :)

Not true? The bacteria needs to be established on the tank walls I thought. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it will just be automatically cycled

corinne118s said:
Not true? The bacteria needs to be established on the tank walls I thought. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it will just be automatically cycled

most of the bb is in the filter, not so much the tank walls and water. to be sure though check your params every once in awhile for around two weeks. wc when needed.

I have read that the bb is in the substrate, on any sponges, on porous decorations, in the filter floss and othe filter media and a slight bit in the water. But for the most part on anything close to good water flow.

seekinghealth said:
most of the bb is in the filter, not so much the tank walls and water. to be sure though check your params every once in awhile for around two weeks. wc when needed.

Hmm I feel like half the info I get from AA is controversial lol. Oh well good luck!!

I have done this a few times now with my tanks and each time the tank was automatically cycled. And, since it was a larger tank from the original, I topped it off with fresh treated water as if I was doing a PWC. I also monitor the water condition for a few days just to be on the safe side. Always has been perfect ;)

Oh! Forgot one thing! I squeeze the filter sponge in the water after adding it all to the newly set up tank...before adding the fish. This is why I let the filter run for a bit before adding the fish.
Be sure and move FAST so that the fish don't run out of oxygen! I have heard others place an airstone in the bucket.

Last edited:
I was thinking of putting an air stone in the bucket .. also I wont be able to save much tank water because the new tank is going where the old one use to be. just finished putting the stand together :) will do tank transfer in the morning!!! it is a smaller tank but I'm so excited... I wanted to switch so I can grow more plants .. my old 60g hex tank is 26inches from water line to substrate .. eek

any opinions on what filter I should use on the new tank? I was thinking the 406 would probably be best due to more media storage.. and I can always turn down the flow and use my DIY spray bar ..

I am not worried about a mini cycle really and will do 25% pwc every 3 days for the first week. then back to my normal 45-55% every 5 days .. I'm transferring all filer media, all substrate and 3 large pieces of driftwood I don't think BB will be an issue

I was thinking of putting an air stone in the bucket .. also I wont be able to save much tank water because the new tank is going where the old one use to be. just finished putting the stand together :) will do tank transfer in the morning!!! it is a smaller tank but I'm so excited... I wanted to switch so I can grow more plants .. my old 60g hex tank is 26inches from water line to substrate .. eek

any opinions on what filter I should use on the new tank? I was thinking the 406 would probably be best due to more media storage.. and I can always turn down the flow and use my DIY spray bar ..

I am not worried about a mini cycle really and will do 25% pwc every 3 days for the first week. then back to my normal 45-55% every 5 days .. I'm transferring all filer media, all substrate and 3 large pieces of driftwood I don't think BB will be an issue

Sounds good. The water isn't anywhere near as important as the tank goodies. Far as filter? Hmmm....someone else will have to answer that one. I am only familiar with what I use. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom