New ten gallon nano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthony G

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what kind if corals should I put in the new tank or should I buy fish first because the coral eats the poop?

Attachments

• image-2289530541.jpg
    image-2289530541.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 177
  • image-2541506892.jpg
    image-2541506892.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 161
  • image-167977974.jpg
    image-167977974.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 164
I was wondering what kind if corals should I put in the new tank or should I buy fish first because the coral eats the poop?

Corals dont really eat poop, they consume microfuana and organisms in the water column. However most of what they need they get directly from light.

Fish first so your tank can adjust to the bioload. Also i would be very careful about the size and number of fish you put it in a 10g, it doesnt take much of a bioload to max out a 10g. 1-2 small fish, especially with coral.

Oh ok thx, so I would be ok if I put coral first then a fish?

How long has your tank been running? Do you have a CuC and all that? When it comes to corals patience is a virtue in my belief its better to have a nice established tank then sumtin that has been just set up for a couple months and still in the process of changing and since corals are animals too its a shame to see something so elegant and beautiful witheraway and die. If I were you i would wait untill you had a fish and all your ornamental little crustaceans first. Also great job on the aquascape but who knows u might end up wanting more caves and it can be quite difficult to re-arrange when you have a bunch of corals your worried about smooching

Oh ok thank you helped alot and it's been running about a month!

Oh no problem this is a great forum full of great people I am no means a expert myself but working on it here is a pic of my nano same size and dimensions of yours by the looks of it

image-1128345906.jpg

image-789402951.jpg

Something I learned was the least amount of rock covering the surface of your sand the better because this creates a more open flow for water to travel through and less deadspots (no water flow at all) Before I tried this attempt I often noticed a few spots that had diatoms on the sand surface but after a little re-arrangement those spots are now non-existent.

Did you say if you had your clean up crew yet?

image-2306322101.jpg

Oddly enough this monster is scared of his own shadow, I wonder if my clown will host him X3 just kidding.

Oh hes cool! My bro loves weird/unusual inverts.. He has a mantis shrimp(mikey) and a decorator spider crab...to ask a duh ? , what exactly is he??? I can see hes a crab..

Oh a mantis shrimp 0.0 is it the fish or crustacean eating kind? And this guy is an Anemone Hermit Crab , he puts anemones on his shell to protect himself against predators such as Octopus. Pretty fun to watch I dropped a large sinking pellet in the other day sure enough he rushed out trying to get it only to have one of his anemones on his shell scoop it up and swallow it whole, of course its hard to say if the was the plan or not XD

Oh no problem this is a great forum full of great people I am no means a expert myself but working on it here is a pic of my nano same size and dimensions of yours by the looks of it

Something I learned was the least amount of rock covering the surface of your sand the better because this creates a more open flow for water to travel through and less deadspots (no water flow at all) Before I tried this attempt I often noticed a few spots that had diatoms on the sand surface but after a little re-arrangement those spots are now non-existent.

Did you say if you had your clean up crew yet?

Ok, did not quite understand that but no I still don't have a clean up crew yet waiting for this weekend!

And your tank looks awesome what kind of crab is it by the way?

Perfect your first livestock! Get yourself a few hermits fyi scarlets are some of the more peaceful variety but there are lots to choose from, another good addition would be an emerald crab they are quite hardy (mine hitchiked on sum LR and survived the cycle) and eat bubble algae which very few animals will touch but ill give you the heads up they get a little on the bigger side and can be aggressive I myself haven't seen one yet that has not stuck its little claws up at someones hand entering its domain

Yes my first how many do u think its good and are reef safe cause I won't a lot of coral in mine I'd rather have coral then fish!

Most hermit crabs are reef safe to my belief I would stick to the smaller ones as larger ones can prove to be quite strong and tip over loosely placed rocks and coral (i guess lugging your home on your back 24/7 is a good workout) Scarlets, zebras, bluelegs are all good choices each species tends to act a little different so a variety is always nice. Also would be a good idea to get an assortment of shells so they can change them as they grow a few snails would also fill this void...Poor snails.

Haha thx that helped get variety of crabs what about snails and fish?

Um snails I like trochus they eat diatoms and are pyramid shaped so tend to have a better chance of not getting stuck on their backside I believe nassarius snails sift through the sand (this can be beneficial for you) as for fish lots of variety to choose from I would stay away from damsels they tend to get aggressive. A Watchman Goby+ Pistol shrimp is alway a cool combo, check out Liveaquaria.com its a good website to draw reference from when picking livestock.

I seen the videos if the pistol shrimp and the goby look awsome and would you say two clowns, pistole and a goby to much?

Hard to say alot of people would say no and not even put 2 clowns in a 10gallon but as far as that goes Im willing to bet this has been done and with success. Only thing I can suggest is do a little further research go slow and if it feels right give it a shot. Oh I forgot to ask, how did you cycle your tank?

I just bought cured live rock and sand it's been running about 1 month

Back
Top Bottom