New ten gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I bought my fifth tank today. I know, that sounds like a lot, but they are all little and I don't have the craziest social life. I am fully capable of taking care of all of them.

Anyway, I'm very excited. I filled it up and have had the filter going while I was in class. I already have the gravel and I'm about to put some gravel from my eight into a filter bag and into the new tank. I would put a few of the ceramic rings from my first ten into this one, but they haven't been in there long.

I'm waiting on my settlement check to decorate it and stock it, which won't be until it's cycled. I was offered free convict cichlids, but I really don't see convicts living happily in ten gallons? :-? She said I could fit three in there! I could have sworn that they should be kept in pairs or by themselves or else they will fight.

Oh well, anyway, just wanted to share this! :mrgreen:

Thank you. I'm hoping I have as good of luck with this one as I had with my fourth tank. It never cycled because I got old gravel and the original media and bio wheel.

Mmmm. I have a 10 gallon in the garage right now. I hope to save it for a turtle someday!

Two convicts need a 30 gallon tank at minimum. Sounds like if you don't treat your MTS (multiple tank syndrome) you'll be setting up a big one soon anyway!

But there are lots of great fish that will live happily ever after in a 10 that won't break the bank.

That's what I was thinking. Three sounds like a horrible situation. But, yea, I wish I could bigger! Ten gallons are the biggest I can go in my dorms and honestly, there is nowhere I could fit a big tank, the kitchen counter is filled up with tanks already. I think my MTS is finally satisfied. haha

I do eat! Just, we have a cafeteria thing with a mandatory meal plan for resident students. And there is enough room for me to set down a cup of coffee so I can watch them swim in the morning<3

Running out of room for tanks is the cure. Although... I could start setting up ones in my roommates room. I have too many dolls and books and have Halloween decorations everywhere, so there is little room for me to live in here. haha. She has much less stuff in her room...

No way, it's just like taking a drug, the addiction will always want more!

totally agree!! ive offered many a friend to set up new tanks for them just because my wife wont let me get another one....

you can add the decor now, it will just give more surface area for bacteria to colonize... just wait till its cycled to stock...

Yea, I understand the waiting to stock. I'm trying to figure out how to decorate. I might go with lots of rocks, I have tons of them that I have picked up over the years and being from the mountains means rock shops EVERYWHERE. So hard to resist!

I love a rock/planted scheme, especially with rocks I collected. Sounds like fun.

A+ to that Andrew.

You also need to avoid limestone, sandstone and anything that might contain pyrite (fools gold) or copper.

I have already looked into that stuff. I have some stones I found in an old graveyard (broken down cemetary walls) and they are in two of my tanks. I love them, but I would really love to do a much more rocky scene than just two sitting in there.

haha. I know, what a stereotype! I used to live right next to an old (like around revolutionary war) cemetery and it wasn't kept up for years. So many of the walls, headstones, and statues are broken up (stupid kids desecrating graves...). Really quite sad, anyway, I hung out there almost everyday and found neat pieces of broken up stuff for my fish tank.

Back
Top Bottom