New To Aa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbieb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Questions about cycling. .
I have been reading all of your posts and you guys are awesome. I'm cycling a smaller 20gal tank. I recently cycled a 50 gallon tank with substrate in a nylon that I got from a friends established tank. Couldnt I just use that same substrate to cycle the smaller tank? I'm new new to the hobby but far from a pro. Is that the dumbest question ever? Go easy guys ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

People say different things. From what I've read there isn't much in the way of good bacteria that you want within the substrate or tank water, its actually mainly in the filter media!

So by placing a small amount of used filter media in your tank is said to have some gains (in smaller tanks). I've found in the past that by placing the used filter media into the new filter. This helps with the whole process.

I've never used chemicals or anything else to bring on the cycling its best to let it take its time.

Only advice take as you like.

Good luck

I suppose now that my 50 gallon is cycled I have access to well established filter media. I've had the 50 up and running for about 3 months.
I have been away from the hobby for a while. It's rather contagious. You find yourself wanting more.

Hello and Welcome to AA!. As previously mentioned using seeded media will help reduce the cycling time and after 3 months the media from your 50 should have good stabilized colonies of bacteria .

Thanks for the input you guys :)

Your more than welcome if you have any other questions, drama's please feel free to ask and keep us up today with what you decide to do and how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom