New to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep the rock work minimal to start, and try about 6-8. Provide 4-5 shells PER individual. What you can also do is add all your shells, count them, divide them by 4 and that will give you your total for the tank (of getting sexable adults, with a ratio of 1male to 2-3 females)

I got all my supplies but I'm selling the house sooner the expected so I'm having to move into a rent house until our current house is finished being built.

So that means everything is on hold until December. Thank you guys so much for your time and advice.

I got my shells, sand, and a couple pieces of THR. I'll update this thread when I get the tank started and cycled.

I'm going to be ordering 6 ocellatus to start out with, with 36 shells in the tank. I think that plus the smaller rock fixtures should suffice.

That sounds perfect man! Definitely no advantage to rushing. Tang tanks can be super frustrating but making sure you have it perfect and are 100% happy with it goes A LONG way!

Yeah I rushed into my last tank and wasn't happy with it but lived with it because it's not a easy project to redo an established tank.

I'm gonna make this one photogenic

I'm going to revive this thread for some DIY questions.

When I said I wanted it to be perfect the first time I wasn't kidding.

I'm gathering all the supplies needed for a DIY 3D background out of styrofoam. I know there are a lot of videos out there on them but I want some first hand accounts (if anybody has any).
How hard are these to make?

I'm not worried about a long term project because I have a couple months before it's going to be set up.

I really would hate to use the cement I've seen in a lot of videos because of the pH spikes and the continuous daily WC needed to stabilize the tank. Is there an alternative to cement or can I seal it with some waterproof sealer? If so, what brand is recommended?

I almost forgot.

Post pictures if you got a DIY or custom-made insert for cichlid tanks. I want some ideas!

Can't believe it's been 7 months since this thread was alive but I got the tank set up, cycled, and fish are arriving tomorrow.

Starting stock will be
×6 leolamprologus multifasciatus
×5 julidochromis marlieri magara

I was thinking about adding some cyprichromis to have some swimmers down the road. Don't want to over do the tank and throw off my cycle with a massive bioload right away.

Shells will be in tomorrow for the multis!!!

I'll post pics when I get the fish in tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 20180403_213251.jpg
    20180403_213251.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 53
Got the shells in and fishies

Attachments

• 1522882271127.jpg
    1522882271127.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom