new to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well, i splurged and got a new T8 lighting system, and while i did, i got a water sprite and a java fern plant and a amazon swoard.. can anyone tell me about these plants? is a T8 enough for planted aquariums?

Need to know a bit more info such as the size of your tank and how many watts are the lights?

18,000k bulbs are useless for plants I'm afraid. You need a color temp in the 5500-8000k range for best results. What kind of light is it? Compact fluorescent or normal output fluorescent, etc?

18000k aren't completely useless it depends on how the tube is set to spike in the spectrum, I have 2 18000k tubes high in both blue and red spectrum

Just wait and see... worst case scenario- you have to get some new bulbs... While 18,000k bulbs may not provide as much light as bulbs in the 6500k-10,000k range, most likely they'll provide some light the plants can use. Just monitor the plants. If they grow, you're fine. If not, change bulbs.

As BigJim pointed out, wattage will be a big factor. How long are the bulbs? If they're 4', they'll either be 32w or 40w... but the size of the tank and the wattage of the bulbs will be a big determining factor. Chances are, you're at least at the low light point... maybe higher

I am guessing they are 24" bulbs in a 30" T8 fixture over a 29 gal. If it is a dual fixture, you have low light, which will sustain java fern and swords. However, as pointed out the 18000K bulbs may not be idea for plants.

I don't think a liquid fertilizer will help much with that lighting and your plant selections. If nutrient imbalance becomes an issue, I would go with a root tab under the sword. That would be about all you would need.

yea, the swoard is the only one that really required moreate to strong light.. the java fern i think is low light.

nah... swords do ok in lower light. with 40 watts over a 29g tank, thats low, but towards mid lighting IMO. I kept an amazon sword in a 10g with a 15w T8 until it outgrew it. Just try it and see

this is some crap. i sepnt like 24 bucks on the lights, and the dude basically lied to me.lol never trust fish guys. they were the strongest for planted aquariums tho.

Back
Top Bottom