new to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah if it is single fixture, the plants will struggle, especially with 18000k bulbs.

would i be better off with the original lights? theyre 8,000 k"s im assuming not.. any plants you guys would reccomend for my lights?

$24 on lights won't get you much in the planted/reef world, I am afraid. T8s are not the best for planted tank lighting. T5ho, cf, mh, led are all superior (depending on specifics of course).

I don't think I would recommend much but java moss, anubias, or java fern. Even those could struggle depending on the spectrum your 18000k bulb produces.

If you want to get serious with plants, you're going to have to upgrade lighting. Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with super low light stuff like anubias, java fern, and java moss... and those will grow really slow. For a cheap T5HO fixture on a 29g tank, you're looking at about $80. That would allow you about any plants you want IMO. Also, I think you've learned a valuable lesson. Research before you buy. Often, LFS workers are misinformed/uninformed and unfortunately, they can give bad advice.

yea, i figured id be alright if i got specialty lights.. ya know. are t5s safe for tetras and such? thanks for the help guys.

I don't think I would call a T8 18000K single bulb fixture a specialty light.

T5 a/o T5HO are fine for fish.

im kinda low on funds as far as the lighting systems.. would the plants hold up untill after may? prom season and im strapped for cash

lets just say i did learn a valuable lesson here. it says on the box that its at 80 on the LUX and its relative power is at its highest(100%) at the 430 wavelength

im kinda low on funds as far as the lighting systems.. would the plants hold up untill after may? prom season and im strapped for cash

perhaps. The java fern might stay green. I think the sword will start to turn in the next few weeks.

well, i read about the fern, it said that they need between 5,000 and 8,000 k's.. 2 watts per gallon... is 18,000 k's a bit much? what about my water sprite?

2WPG is pretty subjective... and I would say incorrect. Java ferns will grow with far less than 2wpg in a medium sized tank.

18000K is a little high. 6500-10000K would be a much better range for them.

so, since my regular light was a 8,000 k light, i could just use that? i take it they would grow fine.. it also has hair algae on it. will that be a problem later? or should i welcome it? i wont try the amazon anymore.. ill just put it in my 55 for my silver dollars to eat. what about the water sprite? ive heard that theyre low light...

Water Sprite might be ok... but you are talking very low light.

Hair Algae is not harmful, but it is unsightly... so I wouldnt say I would welcome it.

What wattage and what kind of bulb is your 8000K light?

Back
Top Bottom