New to SW/ 40br fowlr build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedNeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am brand new to this SW game and need a hand in direction. I picked up my 40 gallon breeder tank yesterday from petco. I am going to be making my own stand I believe. This is my list of other components I had tentatively picked out for the build so far.
150w heater
reef octopus bh1000 skimmer
koralia 750 & 550 power heads
and probably 40lbs of base rock and sand combo pack from marcorocks.com (If I do any live rock I was going to get 5lbs or so locally)

Is there any changes I should make? Any suggestions or critiques? I know I will need a hydrometer and am planning on getting an api saltwater test kit.

You're going to want a refractometer. They're 1000x more accurate. Also, your definitely going to want to add about 5lbs lr. It will help a lot in seeding the base. Best of luck!!!!!!!!

If this is going to be a fowlr you can cross the skimmer off the list, it's not needed but that being said it wouldn't be a bad thing. What are you thinking of having for fish?

You'll want anything and everything to keep the water clean. The less clean, the more frequent and larger water changes you will have to make. Skimmer IMO is a high priority in any tank.

Terrance said:
You'll want anything and everything to keep the water clean. The less clean, the more frequent and larger water changes you will have to make. Skimmer IMO is a high priority in any tank.

This is true but fish have a higher tolerance to nitrates (depending on the fish) than coral and inverts do so a skimmer is often considered optional on fowlr tanks. If you have the budget for a skimmer then get it cause it will help.

If this is going to be a fowlr you can cross the skimmer off the list, it's not needed but that being said it wouldn't be a bad thing. What are you thinking of having for fish?
I was deff. thinking 2 clown fish. I love white on orange coloring and the way the move. I am not to sure what else I could add to this. I will be getting a skimmer. I don't have money to toss but a clean tank is worth the extra to me!

This is true but fish have a higher tolerance to nitrates (depending on the fish) than coral and inverts do so a skimmer is often considered optional on fowlr tanks. If you have the budget for a skimmer then get it cause it will help.

Less nitrAte is the result of a skimmer with hobby test kits. The true effect is less dissolved organic waste in the overall water quality. High levels of organic waste is not good for any fish regardless of fish tolerance to nitrAte. Premature death is the result of poor water quality.

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes.

Terrance said:
Less nitrAte is the result of a skimmer with hobby test kits. The true effect is less dissolved organic waste in the overall water quality. High levels of organic waste is not good for any fish regardless of fish tolerance to nitrAte. Premature death is the result of poor water quality.

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes.

You are not stepping on my toes at all, I'm totally for skimmers as I run one myself. Just trying to relay that if water quality is monitored and maintained then a skimmer isn't a must have is all, at least in a fowlr. A reef tank needs more pristine water but even there it is optional provided maintenance is done regularly and when needed. Skimmers are basically a tool used by hobbyists to reduce maintenance and cut down on water changes which I am in favour of it means more time looking at the tank and less time working on it.

Ok....Stand has been ordered through the lfs today. I am looking online at glass tops and for the 36"x18" it states "with center brace". My 40b does not have a center brace. Can anyone point me in the direction as to where I can purchase a glass top for this tank. Also any light suggestions are welcome!

Ok...just placed my first order for some of the needed items in this tank. Korlia 550 and 750 power heads, 150w heater, and a glass versa top.:dance:
I will be getting a light from the store I bought my stand at locally. Over the next few weeks I will be ordering my reef octopus bh1000 skimmer and a refractometer. I will also be getting 40 lbs of base rock and 40lbs of bahama aragonite sand.(5 to 10lbs of live rock will be picked up at lfs)
I have a question when it comes to mixing your sw though.....Do I need a powerhead to mix that up?

Ya the best I've found is the marineland powerhead/circulation pump.. there cheap and move a lot of water so good for a mix pump

Ordered a 234w 6fixture t5 light today. It also has 6 moonlights. I just hope I can make it work with my glass top:ermm: one more thing crossed off the list!

RedNeck said:
Ordered a 234w 6fixture t5 light today. It also has 6 moonlights. I just hope I can make it work with my glass top:ermm: one more thing crossed off the list!

You could always hang it

Its right under the tv.....No room I think:lol: I will make something work. Seems like a nice light

Glass top? Glass tops reduce gas exchange and can actually filter out the uv light that corals and such need. Most people run open tops or use a screen cover to prevent fish jumping out. Your light should come with little stands to hold it above your tank.

I'm doing fowlr to start.....just got the big light for a just in case down the road thing. Thank you for that info though.(y)

Ok! So I got it on a stand today and also received my koralia 750 and 550 power heads, glass top, and 150w heater. I also got from petco a coralife digital therm. (will be used in conjunction with my stainless) and a maxi jet 1200 for mixing up saltwater. My light, a 6x39w with 6 blue moon led light, will be here Thursday. I clearly have a long way to go but these are the exciting updates I got!:dance:

Here is a picture....nothing exciting.
60630-albums9768-picture39657.jpg

Back
Top Bottom