New to the fish game and need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjensen187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! Ive recently set up my first fish tank and unfortunately it hasn't gone the way I expected it to.

I was offered a 30g fish tank with heater, filter, gravel, plants, a stand, and even a few fish for free. The fish included were a large pleco about 6-7 inches long, a gold gourami, and two giant danios.
I got rid of the danios as one of them seemed to have a large tumor of some sort. Anyway I decided to reset the tank as it looked like it had never been cleaned. I bought new gravel, a decoration, and some fake plants.

When adding the water I used tap water with the appropriate amount of conditioner as well as Tetra Safe Start as I had two fish to add immediately. Temp was set to 75 and I added some aquarium salt. Everything was going well and I added around 4-5 mollies a few days later. I had this setup for about 3-4 weeks when I decided my tank looked a bit empty. This is where I think things went horribly wrong.

I bought 5 tiger barbs, a rosy barb, 2 cherry barbs, and 3 small tetras. I added them over the course of 2 days. They seemed happy! All of them ate and the water was clear. Then I noticed cloudiness. I had a carbon filter going and had been doing 25% water changes weekly. I came home from work one day to notice both cherry barbs had severe ick! As well as two tetras! I went to the local shop and bought Tetra Ick Guard fizz tablets. After adding them the next morning I had lost both cherry barbs and 2 tetras. Over the next few days of regular medication following the directions I lost all tiger barbs and 2 mollies.

Now to make things worse the remaining mollies have cloud eye! I'm still treating the ick but I'm worried about the mollies. The water is still cloudy. Petsmart says my water parameters are fine. What should I do? Continue ick treatment and worry about cloud eye later? Reset entire tank?

I've seen that aquarium salt plus warmer water helps. I may try this. Just looking for a confidence booster I suppose. Btw the original pleco, gold gourami, and rosy barbs seem fine as well as 2 of the mollies. I'm worried about the other mollies with cloud eye and small traces of ick still on their fins.

salt and increase in temp are common ways the treat ich,cloud eye i am not sure of
also do you know if you tank is cycled or not?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom