New ways to build... Stacking aquariums to create latge build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 is supposed to look like 2 trees. One tree coming out of the riverbed as a dead stump and a second tree stump on land

2 is a tree stump on land with its roots poking through the riverside

Hmm I'd go with #1 then less hidden space and once its filled in with background substrate and plants it will turn out that way

We actually set some up like this in college but we removed the pane of glass on the top aquarium so you only had the back, sides, and base.

It worked out fine. We used a piece of driftwood that was bent and ran it as one continuous piece from the top to bottom of the tank. A small return pump was hidden behind it and the tubing ran along the back back up to the top to get a small wet/boggy area in the top tank that dripped back into the lower tank. That was the one issue we had initially. Did have some water "creep" on the underside of the top tank. We ended up running a bead of silicone and created a drip edge to avoid the issue. We removed the rim of course so as not to make it as distracting. We had some concerns at first with the top tanks overall stability with the modifications but no issues over ~ 2 years.

Yeah my plan was quite similar. The "bog" in the top will run down a sloped "ramp" covered in coco fiber. I'm essentially using DIY terraces in the top tank to give the effect of a small hill/rising water bank. The 2 tanks will have a silicone bead running at the joint. Some type of material (maybe a piece of plastic tarp) will be underneath all the tops substrate to inhibit standing water and the slope should allow some movement. Rough textured rocks will be at the junction of the 2 tanks to hide the seam as well as allow pools of water to form/trickle from the top tanks water feature

No I have but they are always elaborate beautiful pieces for like 100

Both of the pieces in this build I bought. Don't bid on them because people like to make other accounts and bid on their own stuff (highly illegal) especially on stuff that doesn't sell super quick like driftwood. Occasionally You can find a good deal I got a 20 gallon fish tank off of craigslist for $50 and it had well over $200 worth of equipment and supplie, including a brand new unopened t8 fixture with 2 bulbs. While at the same time I've seen tanks with much less inventory have $200 asked for them. It's all a matter of being in t right place at the right time, just like driftwood. Or like this rad piece I found down at the river below...

image-766259889.jpg

eBay search cholla wood. Cholla wood looks awesome, can be found for super cheap, and I have a tank that has had multiple pieces in it for over a year and they look great. But like I said, you can get awesome wood for cheap, just be patient and don't bid on it just go ahead and buy it. I looked for over a month for the wood in this build. Also check out manzanitawood.com blossomsandbranches.com joshsfrogs.com black jungle.com and saveoncrafts.com

You can get the stuff that's $100 on eBay for less than $50 more often than not. $30 will get you some SICK looking driftwood manzanita or red-moor too. Hope this helps. All info is thanks to other people's advice and LOTS of time researching and googling.... Girlfriend says I'm addicted hahah

Both of the pieces in this build I bought. Don't bid on them because people like to make other accounts and bid on their own stuff (highly illegal) especially on stuff that doesn't sell super quick like driftwood. Occasionally You can find a good deal I got a 20 gallon fish tank off of craigslist for $50 and it had well over $200 worth of equipment and supplie, including a brand new unopened t8 fixture with 2 bulbs. While at the same time I've seen tanks with much less inventory have $200 asked for them. It's all a matter of being in t right place at the right time, just like driftwood. Or like this rad piece I found down at the river below...

eBay search cholla wood. Cholla wood looks awesome, can be found for super cheap, and I have a tank that has had multiple pieces in it for over a year and they look great. But like I said, you can get awesome wood for cheap, just be patient and don't bid on it just go ahead and buy it. I looked for over a month for the wood in this build. Also check out manzanitawood.com blossomsandbranches.com joshsfrogs.com black jungle.com and saveoncrafts.com

You can get the stuff that's $100 on eBay for less than $50 more often than not. $30 will get you some SICK looking driftwood manzanita or red-moor too. Hope this helps. All info is thanks to other people's advice and LOTS of time researching and googling.... Girlfriend says I'm addicted hahah

Wow man really appreciate the info. Setting up my turtle/sunfish tank and I want some or one good piece in there to hide the fish and make a nice lake scene.

Lighting.

image-2318842689.jpg

Again, there will be DIY styrofoam background in top left corner to make it appear as if the two woods are one piece going through the soil into the water. Worried about heat up top. Will need to raise that light off the glass a little bit, something that is sleek, small, and un-noticeable.

Aerial view
image-1769093569.jpg

Moon light
image-2279256500.jpg

Love this idea! Only just joined the forums and seen some people with great ideas. Subscribing to see how this turns out :)

Love this idea! Only just joined the forums and seen some people with great ideas. Subscribing to see how this turns out :)

Don't have the money for it right now.... School books cleaned out my cash

Put together my other 10 gal instead

image-2809351753.jpg

Attachments

• image-1605470725.jpg
    image-1605470725.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3636904523.jpg
    image-3636904523.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom