newbie, made a new slate decoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chsguy88

Aquarium Advice Regular
2le1b93.jpg

Just getting started, 28 gal bowfront freshwater

Looks good. Just make sure it is really sturdy. You don't want it to come crashing down on any of your fish.

Plan on a tropical community, I got all the equipment from my brother In a move so it's going to be a slow start. But I have some Zebra danios for now.

The white thing is a glass knot my sister gave me for my birthday, thought it looked kinda modern and different.

And it def is sturdy!! The 2 big pieces each have a slot I cut out of them, and they interior tightly. The small piece making the top cave is just kinda
Jamed in!

Thanks for the great welcoming to the forum by the way!!!!

Plan on a tropical community, I got all the equipment from my brother In a move so it's going to be a slow start. But I have some Zebra danios for now.

The white thing is a glass knot my sister gave me for my birthday, thought it looked kinda modern and different.

And it def is sturdy!! The 2 big pieces each have a slot I cut out of them, and they interior tightly. The small piece making the top cave is just kinda
Jamed in!

Great! Sounds cool! And sturdy! Welcome to the forum!

Jamed in!

Ohh, that's a glass knot! Looks pretty cool ;). And definitely looks unique, I've never seen a glass knot in an aquarium before. And welcome to the forum! Planted tank?

planning on it! All my equipment was my brothers, just moved so instead of storing it all at the new place just decided I'd go ahead and get it up and running... Really don't have the spare money now to go all out on it like I would like to, so I guess you can say its a work in progress lol.

I went to petco tonight, got a chinese algae eater, and 3 of another species (completly drawing a blank though, they were on sale for a buck each though lol
) and a stick of bamboo... I want it to be planted, would actually love for it to be, but unfortunately have to take it slow lol. Will post more pictures when I take em :p

thanks again for the warm welcome y'all

planning on it! All my equipment was my brothers, just moved so instead of storing it all at the new place just decided I'd go ahead and get it up and running... Really don't have the spare money now to go all out on it like I would like to, so I guess you can say its a work in progress lol.

I went to petco tonight, got a chinese algae eater, and 3 of another species (completly drawing a blank though, they were on sale for a buck each though lol
) and a stick of bamboo... I want it to be planted, would actually love for it to be, but unfortunately have to take it slow lol. Will post more pictures when I take em :p

thanks again for the warm welcome y'all

Just be wary of the cae. When it gets older. It eats less algae and gets more territorial/aggressive. Mine has attacked adult male crayfish...... So you don't know what the other 3 fish are? Get some pics please :D

Just be wary of the cae. When it gets older. It eats less algae and gets more territorial/aggressive. Mine has attacked adult male crayfish...... So you don't know what the other 3 fish are? Get some pics please :D

I know!!!! Well, didn't know when I was at petco,
Quickly found out about the CAE's when I got home though. I did ask the lady at petco if I should get two and she said "if you want them to kill each other when they get older", but really wasn't thinking they'd turn on the whole tank... This guy is maybe 1.5 inches now so we have a while to we have to cross that bridge though!

And I googled it, the 3 I got that I didn't know the name of are actually Red Minor Serpae Tetras. Let me post some pix.

Attachments

• image-1589984930.jpg
    image-1589984930.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1480277091.jpg
    image-1480277091.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 95
I know!!!! Well, didn't know when I was at petco,
Quickly found out about the CAE's when I got home though. I did ask the lady at petco if I should get two and she said "if you want them to kill each other when they get older", but really wasn't thinking they'd turn on the whole tank... This guy is maybe 1.5 inches now so we have a while to we have to cross that bridge though!

And I googled it, the 3 I got that I didn't know the name of are actually Red Minor Serpae Tetras. Let me post some pix.

Since its only 1.5, then you have maybe a year and a half max. Mine right now is around 3-4". Yup, those are red minor serpae tetras. And wow! Your tank looks so much less cloudy and brighter then the pic at the beginning of this thread! (y)

Since its only 1.5, then you have maybe a year and a half max. Mine right now is around 3-4". Yup, those are red minor serpae tetras. And wow! Your tank looks so much less cloudy and brighter then the pic at the beginning of this thread! (y)

Thanks bro :) this is defiantly an addictive hobby!

Good to know the time til the cae gets bigger

Also, I'd get more zebra danios if I were you because zebra danios will get nippy if singular or in small groups.

Also, I'd get more zebra danios if I were you because zebra danios will get nippy if singular or in small groups.

I had 6.... They were fine for a couple days then they pack would turn on one, bully it to death.... Literally one was killed each day, one male and one female remained and lived in harmony for I'd say a good 3 days or so, then he killed her.

Granted they were cheap fish, after what happened, I'm not buying anymore zebra danios.... I know I've read the whole they need to be in a pack, but my sole surviving male is happier alone (from what I can see) than he was during the daily blood bath. I swear, it was like I was watching a murder show.... It was like a TV show that was to be continued, every night.... Wake up and watch the drama unfold again lol

I had 6.... They were fine for a couple days then they pack would turn on one, bully it to death.... Literally one was killed each day, one male and one female remained and lived in harmony for I'd say a good 3 days or so, then he killed her.

Granted they were cheap fish, after what happened, I'm not buying anymore zebra danios.... I know I've read the whole they need to be in a pack, but my sole surviving male is happier alone (from what I can see) than he was during the daily blood bath. I swear, it was like I was watching a murder show.... It was like a TV show that was to be continued, every night.... Wake up and watch the drama unfold again lol

Ouch.... That's not good..... And 6 danios in a group is a good amount. Were they all from the same store and tank? I myself hate zebra danios because IMO they are mean brats that live a short life lol.

Ouch.... That's not good..... And 6 danios in a group is a good amount. Were they all from the same store and tank? I myself hate zebra danios because IMO they are mean brats that live a short life lol.

Yeah... All from petsmart, bought at the same time, from the same tank... They did kind of vary in size between the 6 but it wasn't anything too out of the ordinary.

And I'm with ya there, I'm not dealing with those anymore lol. These tetras as a group have been so much more peaceful and just "chill"

The one danio left over is pretty cool now, really active, all over the place.... But yeah, I'm not getting him any mates bc of the serial killer mentality he had for his "brothers and sisters" lol. Maybe he's just psycho. Don't think I can get Xanax and Prozac for fish tho :-( lol

I hear ya on the zebras, they're just not a very attractive fish IMO, haven't had one of those since I was a kid.

I hear ya on the zebras, they're just not a very attractive fish IMO, haven't had one of those since I was a kid.

I've never had them ever! Lol
And yeah, not too attractive.....
My lfs has them overpriced too. I'm not gonna pay $3-4 for one of those fish :/.

Yeah... All from petsmart, bought at the same time, from the same tank... They did kind of vary in size between the 6 but it wasn't anything too out of the ordinary.

And I'm with ya there, I'm not dealing with those anymore lol. These tetras as a group have been so much more peaceful and just "chill"

The one danio left over is pretty cool now, really active, all over the place.... But yeah, I'm not getting him any mates bc of the serial killer mentality he had for his "brothers and sisters" lol. Maybe he's just psycho. Don't think I can get Xanax and Prozac for fish tho :-( lol

Lol. Yup, those tetras just "chill" XD. What fish is gonna replace all the zebra danios?

Back
Top Bottom