newbie with a cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly1107

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the cycling process as we speak lol...my question is about 15 hours ago I did a 30% water change to my 44 gallon tank..the amonia was at 2 and the night before it was only .25, so I know the process is starting...I added amo lock when I did the change. I just checked again and it looks to be at 2 again...Is it possible that the amo lock is working but I am still getting this reading because it doesnt actually remove the amonia? This is all so confusing lol. Do I need to do another water change today? Please help I wanna do the right thing! Thanks
Amonia 2?
Nitrite 0
Nirrate 0
Ph 7.4
Temp 78

Ammo lock is defeating the purpose. You need ammonia in order to cycle the tank. Otherwise, the beneficial bacterie die off from starvation.

Do you have fish in this tank?

Thanks! I am...we were not aware of the cycle that takes place...when i was a kid it seemed like we just threw the fish in the water...I did use water conditioner and I thought I was doing everything right, then an employee at a pet store informed me of the "cycle" ...so now I am trying to do the right thing :)

Lynda...the research I have done says thats not true...the amo lock just makes the amonia less harmfull but does not remove or upset the cycle...I am new at this tho so idk

I've never used Ammo Lock, but everything I've heard in various forums has been negative. Most of us use Prime as a dechlorinator. It's trustworthy, does the job, and one bottle lasts a long time. Now, if they could only improve the smell of it...... :hide:

I just read your other thread and you have inappropriate fish for this size tank. As long as you have ammonia over .25, you have to do daily water changes, 50%.

It's very tough cycling with fish. You need to be really hands on and it's a lot more work than cycling without.

Ugh all I know is this is a lot of work lol...we are doing a water change now! I am just glad I know about all of this for next time, I will def. do a fishless cycle on any new tank I get from now on!

Once you have a single tank established and healthy, then you just borrow seeded filter media from that and you can literally have another cycled tank in one day.

Hi Lynda (again)... just done a water test on our tank changeover, and despite a very slight cloudiness, the ammonia is 0, nitrite is less than 0.1mg and nitrate is within a safe tolerance. We only set it up a few days ago but as mentioned, have used the old filter, 25% of the substrate, and moved live plants and rocks.

Is this ready for the first fish to go in or should I be waiting for something else to happen...

Any help much appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom