Newly cycled tank crash with MAJOR ph drops!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Newfisher said:
Thanks Eco...my first response was to someone else...this is for you. I think what you say gives me hope and is encouraging. Is there anything I can do to encourage or nudge the bacteria along? How long should I wait this out? I have an order on hold from HN1 and an order from my LFS for some RCS, some Oto Cats, and some Cherry Barbs. HN1 said he had no problem working with my schedule but I am not sure about the LFS because my starter tetras are going to be trade-ins for some of the soon to be bought fish from them. This is crazy isn't it? On the other hand I am very happy that the ph is under control. The person who responded before you was talking about ph/rh. What exactly is that?

They were talking about baking soda as it relates to pH / hardness / alkalinity. I don't personally support baking soda...just get yourself some CC.

Anyway...you know I love and promote fishless cycling...but if you're doing water changes and dosing Prime everyday regardless for now...you might as well add the fish you want...just do it SLOWLY. As long as you're doing daily PWC's and using Prime to neutralize the ammo between water changes, you'll be fine. You're obviously not starting back from the beginning,,,and I honestly believe that as long as the pH is now stable it will only take a few days to get back to where you were :)

Newfisher said:
Thanks Eco...my first response was to someone else...this is for you. I think what you say gives me hope and is encouraging. Is there anything I can do to encourage or nudge the bacteria along? How long should I wait this out? I have an order on hold from HN1 and an order from my LFS for some RCS, some Oto Cats, and some Cherry Barbs. HN1 said he had no problem working with my schedule but I am not sure about the LFS because my starter tetras are going to be trade-ins for some of the soon to be bought fish from them. This is crazy isn't it? On the other hand I am very happy that the ph is under control. The person who responded before you was talking about ph/rh. What exactly is that?

It was ph/kh that was being discussed. What did he mean?

Thanks Eco..our responses are crossing each other:). BTW, I just got my Aragonite and am getting ready to put some in brand-new panty hose. I do not have a mesh bag but we females always have brand new panty hose:). Sorry to be so impatient and pesty! After the excitement of doing the fishless cycling, this is such a downer!! I feel like I have done something wrong but I don't know what! Anyway...you have been great and have taught me so very much. I do feel I have grown as a "fisher-person" :)!

Newfisher said:
It was ph/kh that was being discussed. What did he mean?

To put it kind of simply, kH- is your alkalinity (holds pH stable), GH- is hardness (amount of rocks/minerals/metals). I could be wrong, but I think baking soda only increases kH...not GH, and you need to have both of those things to truly stabilize the water which is why I suggested crushed coral and not baking soda.

*Edit...or aragonite which you have :)

Last edited:
You didn't do anything wrong :). Just that crazy driftwood messing everything up by leeching whatever it was and swinging around the pH.

Back
Top Bottom