Next Question: How much water to change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inspiringmind

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
10 Gallon tank.... How much should I take out and then add back in? Weekly I figure.

Don't want my fishies to suffer! Although I have only added water as of lately and it looks pretty clean.

Thanks again!

Mary

I generally do a 25% pwc each week. I check my water parameters and if anything is out of order, I do it more often.

Welcome to AA!

Get a test kit and change more based on those readings. I do atleast 15% a week, usually 10% twice weekly. If your readings get high do a larger water change to help normalize your tank.

I do a little over time. Its supposed to be better for your fish and ive seen more of a difference when i do this ecspecially with my fish breeding a lot more. instead of doing a 25% all at once do a little over one week.

I always did about 40% every two weeks in my larger aquariums and the fishes have always been doing really good. I never had my aquariums fully stocked though.

However, in the smaller tanks I've changed about 25% every week. The bigger aquariums are steadier, but in the small ones the water gets bad sooner, because of overfeeding etc.

IMO a little over time makes only a difference if you are adding a lot of CO2 or something else that influences the ph a lot. Then it would be logical to maybe change a little at a time and not add too much ph8 to a tank with original ph6.8 or so.
But generally changing water once a week should be fine. Changing too much too often could also stress the fishes and plants too much.

Thanks...I think I will start exchanging about 10% twice a week. And I need to buy a test kit, I have no idea what the water ph or anything is, but I do know we don't have copper pipes. Of course the only thing I have on the tank is a tempature gauge. Right now it is at 81 F

Mary

Great thing about a 10 gal tank is that a 10% water change is only a gallon. Allyou need do is scoop out a 2 quart pitcher a few times and you are done. No hoses, siphons, or pythons necessary! Always check the pitcher for fish before you pour it down the drain! Many fish will be curious and swim into it.

Since its so easy, do it frequently.
Hey - and welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom