Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A traditional cycle with no seed material typically takes about 6 weeks total. Temperature, bioload, etc all play a part and can shorten or lengthen this time. By the time you see a Nitrite spike you are usually towards the end and often it's only a couple more weeks.

I hope so. This is getting exhausting in terms of the 70% daily water changes. But I have lost no fish. They seem fine.

The fact that you're getting that much nitrite is a good thing. It means your cycle is progressing. But, like was stated, you're going to have to keep it up until the nitrifying bacteria to convert NO2 to NO3 can be raised.

Seems like I am gradually making progress. I have been doing daily water changes of no less than 50 and up to 80 % getting nitrite levels down to .50 or so. By the next day, levels go back up over 1, but that is a lot better than the 3 I was getting. Also, nitrates are now registering around .2 which seems like progress. Also, the fish are doing very well.

Good job, Keep doing exactly what you're doing, even though it's probably not much fun. You'll be happy with the results.

These same type of results really freaked me out as well when I was starting my community tank. The pet shop gave me really really bad advice (that it was okay to add fish after 3 days). I lost a bunch of fish until I started hitting the books and finding out what was what.
Right around the end of my tank cycling I saw a HUGE spike in ammonia and nitrItes. So I did two 75% water changes in one night.
Before the first wc my ammonia was around 1ppm and the NirtrItes were just above 5ppm. After the first water change the ammonia dropped to about .25ppm and the nitrItes to about 2ppm. I did another 75% change about 3 hours later and both ammonia and nitrites dropped to 0.
I tested every six hours after that. About two days later my nitrites elevated again, so I changed water 50% and they dropped to zero.
After that my NitrItes and ammonia stayed at zero and my NitrAtes hovered around 9ppm. I learned later on that I was hitting the end of the tank's nitrogen cycle.
But everything now is fine. I've got a whole community tank flourishing. Just stay on top of those water changes and DO NOT use any water additives other than those that reduce chlorine.

You had mentioned that their gills may turn red from nitrite overexposure. Is this permanent damage or will it repair? The water is definitely improving but I can see some of the wear and tear on the fish. Particularly the platys

The other thing you can do during this time is add salt to the aquarium. Assuming you don't have live plants.

The salt will help the fish breath better when the NO2's get high. I would only add the salt if the fish seem stressed.

I feel like the energizer bunny. Still going.... This has been a ton of effort. My wife keeps asking me if I am going to need to do this every day permanently, and I keep assuring her no (shes been very supportive but its a reasonable question!)

That's a good thing!

How much NO2 are you seeing develop in a day? Check it right after a PWC, then right before you do the next one.

Sounds like you're getting closer everyday. I just read your whole post from beginning to end and you're definitely close! Don't let the frequency of water changes discourage you! I was in the same boat as you when I started my 10gal community tank.

It took my 10gal well over 3 months to fully establish itself. I did not do a fishless cycle, much like you. I started with 2 zebra danios and some ghost shrimp for the first month. Water changes everyday if not twice a day (morning and night). Girlfriend asking the same questions your wife asked, "Are you going to do this everyday?!?!"

Needless to say that things got under control and everything is fine. Once I hit the 3 month mark I went out and got 2 cories and 2 guppies. Both the danios, both the cories, and one of the guppies are still alive today, 1.5 years later. (The one guppy got nipped at, and died, by my school of red-eye tetras i had)

Like I said, don't get discouraged, your fish are hardier than you think! I thought I was going to kill my fish within the first 2 months, but most of them are still living more than a year later! Get some good rest tonight, you're on the right track!

Good luck OP, keep chuggin along with those PWC's another week or two and you should be done with the >50% water changes.

I myself may be going through a minicycle since I pretty much trippled my bioload though it was in a long established tank so the bacteria should be there already, thereby helping the nitrification process.

OK - just measured. NO2 1.0, NO3 5.0. Now am doing 75% water change and will measure again.

New measurements after 80% water change. NO2 .25, NO3 0

Any thoughts? Fish seem happy.

Now my problem is that it will go back up again by the morning I would bet..

But it seems like I am making progress

I think I have turned a corner. I am still doing changes but for the first time I was able to skip a day and the nitrites never went over 1 ppm. I think Im rolling and I havent had a fish die in 2 plus weeks. Very pleased. I will post some photos for you guys to take a look.

Attached are some photos of the new tank. I am giddy because I checked this morning and for the first time my nitrites were low. Less than .50 ppm - probably .25. I have several in here of the tank and also one of my dwarf blue male gourami.

Attachments

• IMG_5351.jpg
    IMG_5351.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5353.jpg
    IMG_5353.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5354.jpg
    IMG_5354.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5355.jpg
    IMG_5355.jpg