Nitrite (NO2) Advice Needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh-shoot2kill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a fresh water tank going through the preparation cycle, bacteria was introduced three days ago. I have heard of New Tank syndrome, and my tank is reading 0.5 mg/l. I have been told this is worryingly too high. I don't understand how the levels can be this high as i have yet to introduce fish or real plants, (I do however have two fake plants). All the Best Guys.

How did you introduce bacteria? What are you seeding the tank with? what is the source of N that you are providing to feed the bacteria?

Well I introduced the bacteria from a bottle that was bought from my local pet store, well I intended to introduce plants to produce the nitrates tomorrow but the nitrate levels are already high? And seeding? do you mean what plants will I put in?

Please check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate- I suspect this is where your readings are coming from. The 'bacteria in bottle' products are not going to be of much help in my opinion. You will need to feed your tank with a source of ammonia beyond your water source- the bottled products do not contain ammonia. The source can be pure ammonia, raw shrimp, or fish you plan to stock. You will need to decide how you are going to cycle your tank as well (fishless or fish-in). Heres a link to the fw guide- it contains links for fish-in & fishless cycling.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate directly from your tap and what are you using to test (liquid or strips)?

Josh-shoot2kill said:
Well I introduced the bacteria from a bottle that was bought from my local pet store, well I intended to introduce plants to produce the nitrates tomorrow but the nitrate levels are already high? And seeding? do you mean what plants will I put in?

Plants don't produce nitrate, they "eat" it.
Fish produce ammonia, your biological filter turns that into nitrite and then into nitrate. You remove the nitrate with PWCs. Read the links provided you above.

Back
Top Bottom