Nitrite Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tested my tank for nitrite, and it was at 3 ppm? Is this very dangerous? I'm cycling it. Also, how long will it take to go to zero if I don't do water changes?

When did you start to get the nitrite levels? The conversion from nitrite to nitrate takes al ot longer than ammonia to nitrite so it may take a little while.

3ppm depends on what kind of fish you have in the water. I wouldn't recommend adding fish into with that level if that is what you mean. When your cycle is done idealy you want your ammonia and nitrites at zero.

How are you cycling (fish in or fishless)? If you have fish in there, do some water changes to try to get nitrite as low as you can get it (it may take a few large water changes). Nitrites are as toxic as ammonia so you shouldn't wait as the fish will be affected; what are the readings for ammonia? What size tank? If you have fish, what kind?

How are you cycling (fish in or fishless)? If you have fish in there, do some water changes to try to get nitrite as low as you can get it (it may take a few large water changes). Nitrites are as toxic as ammonia so you shouldn't wait as the fish will be affected; what are the readings for ammonia? What size tank? If you have fish, what kind?

Well I added fish before I knew about the cycling process and I have 6 left. They are two guppies, two platies, one molly, one danio. The ammonia was at about .25. It's a 37 gallon.

I would say since Nitrites are so high and you have fish in there you can tackle it by doing WC and if that doesn't bring them down than going with some immediate nite-out this will help calm things for a bit but mainly, do a WC if not those poor fish will suffer stressful level of Nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom