Nitrites Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lym

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 26 gallon tank finally finished cycling after 3 weeks, did a large water change this morning and got 7 Neon Tetra's this afternoon. Since the water change though Nitrites are now showing 2.0, so I did a 50% water change but it's made no difference. What do I do? Or will lower on it's own??

neilanh said:
How did you cycle? I assume fishless, but what ammonia source, and when did the cycle complete?

Yes it was fishless using household ammonia. The cycle completed a 3 days ago. Ammonia is 0 and Nitrates are 5 if that helps.

I've just found this topic while waiting for a reply: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=96420 and the post sounds exactly like my problem. Is it possible my test is showing a false Nitrite reading as mentioned on the link??

neilanh said:
It is, that's why I asked about the cycle.

So I've nothing to worry about then?? Will the test go back to normal again? If so how long will it usually take?

Anyone know??

Someone else told me that I should be doing water changes daily and to add salt to the tank.

I don't think salt will do anything for you here.

If you've read the other thread, then you see where I mentioned the "debate", or in better terms difference of opinion. Noone seems to really know exactly what is occurring when this happens. Some cycles have shown this phenomena for a day, others have had it for over a week.

Doing water changes at this point, while doesn't hurt anything, IME doesn't help anything either. However, since you have fish, it's probably not a bad idea completely to do small daily water changes if that's manageable for you. It's more of a precaution than anything else though really. Just keep an eye on your params, and your fish, and you should be okay. At some point this will kick over and you won't need to worry about it anymore.

Ok thank you. Is a 25% water change ok or should I do more??

Done today's test and it's dropped a little from 2 to 1 :)

Yep, Nitrates have got a little higher but not too much.

Seems to be getting there now :D Nitrites dropped to 0.50, Nitrates 5 and Ammonia still at 0.

neilanh said:
I don't think salt will do anything for you here.

NO2's inhibit O2 intake into the red blood cells of the fish. Adding salt or Cl- has been known to reduce the amount of NO2's in the blood of fish, therefore allowing O2 to be absorded again. ie adding salt would be a good thing if the NO2's are elevated.

It's almost down to zero now, thanks for your help! :)

Back
Top Bottom